How to cut crown molding?

Hi All,

I'm installing 5-1/4" crown molding on my ceiling. I understand that the best method for cutting miters (at the corners of the room) is to place the molding in the miter saw in the position that it will be installed, except that the molding is turned upside down. However, since the vertical leg of the miter for 5-1/4" crown molding is approximately 4-1/4", the molding won't fit into my miter saw. My saw blade is 10" and I've got less than 4" clearance between the table surface and the underside of the saw motor. I suppose I could make a custom miter box and make the cuts with a handsaw, but I've got a lot of cuts to be made.

Instead, I want to lay the molding flat onto the bed of the miter saw (good side facing up) and make a compound cut consisting of a miter cut and a bevel cut. What is the angle of the miter (I know it's not 45 degrees), and what is the angle of the bevel?

Thanx, Key Bored

Reply to
Key Bored

Dave Jackson

snip

Here is a link to an article on DeWalt's site I found useful in doing my molding. Just remember, that these are precise angles for precise corners. Never found a precise corner in my whole house!

Allyn Vaughn

First, have an experienced plasterer come in, tear out the drywall, and put in absolutely plumb, level, and square walls and ceilings, if you don't have them already.

Reply to
BUB 209

Here's some websites that may be of assistance...

James Ruetenik

book listed above helped me when I installed CM in my home. Just in case the link does not work, it is "Crown Molding and Trim" by Wayne Drake. He pushes his angle tool in the book, but it is still very helpful even if you don't use the angle tool. The best tip I took out of it is to cut your self some small templates and label them. Then next time you have to cut a right inside for example, you hold up the template and adjust your saw.

Hope it helps. Scott T

Reply to
Scott

The current issue of Workbench magazine (Issue #286 - December) has an excellent article on installing crown moulding.

Here's a little how to that has a chart at the bottom with all the bevel and miter angles.

BeerBoy