cost of house extension

Many towns will not approve plans without a stamped set of prints. Or if they do, they will be scrutinized and questioned considerably as opposed to just approved. Depends on your local situation, but I'd pay for the Architect.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yup. A friend joined - had just bought a Condo he wanted to spruce up, as well as an industrial building he needed to put new offices in. His Mom also just got a house that needed to be done from end to end, top to bottom.

Ends up he could buy EVERYTHING cheaper elsewhere and didn't need to wait for it. Biggest waste of $5-6000 he ever spent. He might have bought $1000 worth from them - but no huge savings.

Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

The difference between what the estimates were to have the whole thing done and what it cost them buying from Direct Buy and having you install was insignificant at best. I'm sure they could have gotten every bit as good a price buying direct from one of the many cabinet shops in most large cities and having you do the install. The only advantage to Direct Buy is you look at all the catalogs in the same show-room, so it saves you a bit of time and gas.

Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:4203c$47ee758b$6215aa97$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

I apologize if I offended. No offense was intended. Indeed, usenet is open to all, and any (and all) opinions one sees here are only that, the poster's opinions.

I still think having an architect and a contractor who were very familiar with the local circumstances, rules, etc. was very helpful to us when we did major remodeling. I believe it would be better for many people in similar circumstances. However, if you live where no architectural rules, building permits and standards are applicable, or if you can process the paperwork easily yourself, then by all means do the work yourself. In fact, I have added some wiring and shelves to my home (this and the previous one), and it has worked out just fine so far. But for major new plumbing and appliance installations as well as real remodleing like replacing siding and windows plus my addition, I have hired qualified people, and not only because I didn't have the time.

Reply to
Han

> Han

Han: Your before & after phots, is this the front of the house or the back ? If front, an added deck would be nice.

Smitty

Reply to
papadoo1

Well now you've hit on something totally different, and even more valid. There are some absolute truths in life. Among those most worthy of internalizing are (1) more than a handful is wasted, and (2) if it's got to do with plumbing, farm out the work.

Reply to
Mike Marlow