Are Touchless Faucets Worth The Cost?

I am (was?) considering getting a touchless faucet for the kitchen sink.
Moen has a faucet that we like the looks of. We watched a few videos and the feature that I liked was the control box that allowed you set the temperature of the water when the faucet was activated by the touchless sensor. SWMBO and I thought that setting the temp to warm would be good for washing hands, which is probably the time that we would not want to touch the faucet. Meat juices, sticky messes, etc.
Well, it turns out that the adjustable control box was only used on the first generation of Moen's touchless faucets and no longer available. The water will be at whatever temperature the handle was last left at. To adjust the temperature once it is turned on via the touchless sensor, you have to....wait for it....*touch* the handle.
So, without that feature, I'm not sure a touchless faucet is worth the extra money, other than for the novelty.
I'm looking for opinions from those have tried them or opted not to get one for a specific reason.
On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 8:58:20 AM UTC-8, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If you have the extra money go for it and let us know the results.
On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 08:58:16 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

In most cases they are just an expensive "gimmick". _ More to go wrong. Wr have them in the one church washroom - for that use they are OK, but there is no temp adjustment (cold only)
On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 11:58:20 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'd be concerned about how long the motion sensing electronics will work, as well as whatever electromechanical device they use to work the valve. It's more complex, costs more, and my guess would be that there is a good chance it will go kaput or need expensive parts before a regular faucet.
The fact that it opens to whatever the previous setting was is a factor too. I guess that's OK, as it's most useful when your hands are dirty from working with raw meat or similar, you just want a little warer and you don't want to touch the handle.
I was looking at faucets recently and from what I've seen so far, even $250 faucets are made with a lot of plastic now, eg the pull down faucet end, usually the part it goes into, etc.
On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 12:49:07 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

That's my main issue. The older Moen's could be set to warm for the no-touch on. That's what I want when my hands are slimy from beef, etc. Cold water won't break that down as fast, so I'd still need to touch the handle.
The new Moen's don't have that temp control. It looks like a couple of Pfister models do but the Pfister of today isn't the Price-Pfister of old. The reviews are iffy.

On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 12:15:41 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Yeah, Black and Decker bought Pfister, so the spiral to the drain has likely begin. Black and Decker + Kiss of Death.

On 3/6/17 10:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

What do hospitals use?
On 3/6/2017 5:39 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Foot pedals.
On 3/6/2017 11:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I see enough non-working faucets in public restroom to make me think there can be problems. I can see it being handy at times though.
I looked at one on Amazon and it has 9% 1 star reviews. Reading them was enough to convince me not to get one.
On 3/6/2017 8:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Unless you have a circulating hot water system, expecting a specific water temperature for a random activation is optimistic.

But a maximum temperature is not. A thermostatic mix valve will assure the water never gets hotter than so hot, and gets to that temperature as quickly as possible(unlike a fixed mix valve)
On 3/6/2017 9:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I believe that's a true statement, but does it apply? If the flow required to get some warm water to the tap is more than the total amount of water you need, a thermostat ain't gonna help you.
Low flow faucets make the time to hot worse. I'm finding that if I need a glass of warm water in the bathroom, it's quicker to walk to the kitchen, heat a glass of cold water in the microwave and walk back to the bathroom. Uses a lot less water and probably less electricity and I get some exercise in the process.
On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 3:14:37 AM UTC-5, mike wrote:

Even if you have no circulation system or special valve, a faucet that defaults to a set temp when activated would allow you to avoid having it blast you with full hot if that was what was last used. If you set it to lukewarm, it might be the temp of the water sitting in the pipes, or it might be lukewarm, but it's not going to be 130F. And there is at least some chance that you'd get the desired temp water, as opposed to what temp was last used.
On 3/9/2017 6:59 AM, trader_4 wrote:

You betcha. It's all about the requirements. If you're the only one using that faucet and you know for sure the last temperature, and that temperature is what you want, you're good to go. Note the word "might" in your response. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Determine the cost. Determine the benefit. Make the decision if benefit exceeds cost.
I think most people have three requirements. 1 cold as possible 2 hot as possible 3 don't burn me Add as many as you like.
Attach a percentage number to each representing the number of times the temperature you want is the same as the temperature last used AND the current temperatures in the pipe allow the flow to start at that temperature.
When I do that calculation it comes out near zero benefit. Turning down the water heater temperature fixes the "don't burn me" state.
On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 12:03:36 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:

I guess I'm not "most people". Rarely do I need cold as possible and I certainly don't need hot as possible in a hands free situation. Warm to wash hands is where I would like my hands free operation to reside. Starting at pipe-temperature and increasing to the warm setting as hot water becomes available is the reason I wish the temp control was still available.
Anything other than hands free, such as filling a pot or the dishpan, is where I would use the handle.

It ONLY applies if you need enough water to get hot water to the faucet, obviously

Personally you could not GIVE me one of them for FREE.
Everytime I go to a public restroom and *TRY* to wash my hands with one of them #$&^(@#*^ things, I spend more time cussing while waving my arms and hands just to get enough water to rinse the soap off my hands. The last thing I want is on of them F#$%ing things on my house.....
Just my honest opinion of them!!!
On 03/07/2017 02:30 AM, snipped-for-privacy@Weiser.com wrote:

+1
Automatic faucets only work in the TV commercials.
On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 10:30:18 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:

My kitchen sink is almost directly above the hot water heater. A long wait for hot water has never been an issue.
On 3/6/17 10:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

There are foot operated kits that make touch faucets, touchless, at least as far as getting the water on.