Control Panel Project

I checked two more lumber yards and could not find Baltic Birch.

Where is the MDO info?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I know nothing about MDO, and only asked about Baltic Birch over the phone. I hadn't seen it during my visits to Home Depot and Lowes.

Is it cheaper and/or better than the plywoods I listed?

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York

Reply to
Searcher7

I know nothing about MDO, and only asked about Baltic Birch over the phone. I hadn't seen it during my visits to Home Depot and Lowes.

Is it cheaper and/or better than the plywoods I listed?

Reply,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I don't know what the "Borg" is. I don't know how durable sign boards are, but I will not be painting the finished project. And as far as my application goes, strength where I join two pieces together lengthwise is the main issue. In that respect, I still don't know how MDO compares to the plywoods I listed.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

H/D, Lowes, etc.

are, but I will not be painting the finished project. And as far as my application goes, strength where I join two pieces together lengthwise is the main issue. In that respect, I still don't know how MDO compares to the plywoods I listed.

There are lots of ways to get a strong joint with the right materials.

Physically go to a real lumber yard and look at some MDO.

Definitely NOT a Borg or home center item.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I think what Lew is trying to say is that you may find it to be cheaper than high-grade plywood, and since your cabinet/control panel isn't going to be exposed to the elements/rain, it may be a viable alternative for you.

It's not the same as 7 or 11 or 13 layer ply, but the fact that it has a poly (or vinyl, or whatever artifical cover is on it) surface on one side that is absolutely made for painting.. It'd probably be worth trying to track some down and see it for yourself.

Then again, I could be wrong and he might be meaning something else, but I suspect I'm semi-close to the mark.

Jason Buckler Marietta, GA

Reply to
Jason

Yes, he did say it would be cheaper than Baltic Birch plywood. MDO is supposed to be an exterior grade plywood, so I guess that exposure to the elements shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Nevertheless, if I can't make a stronger joint than with all the all the materials I listed, then I can't see it being worth the higher cost.

That wouldn't be an advantage for me, since I will not be painting the finished project.

In fact, since I intend to put adhesive vinyl on it that means I'd have to round over the entire length.(I hope that compromising the surface layer of the MDO that way won't create a problem?

Perhaps I should go with a bevel box joint instead of the groove/ rabbet.

Any ideas what material I should use as a glue block?