Continuing saga of WOODCRAFT/JORGENSEN

They have probably never experienced at rush on orders like this. Being prepared, in hindsight, may have been to install $500,000 is servers for the one time sale.

They probably should do something for the people with confirmed orders. It would go a long way to improving good will. As for the ones that just got there too late, tough, You knew it was limited supplies so you have no complaint. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Do folks not have credit cards they can pay off with the next paycheck? I suppose there are some people who simply do not qualify for a credit card.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Aside from the fact it was humor, (and you missed that) I have more credit available than I'll ever need. I just choose to buy when the money is in my pocket. Maybe that is why I have good credit. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I **knew** you were fishing!!! Ok, I suspected... Ok, you sucked me in big time...

Reply to
mttt

Actually, I did just what you said for the router bits that were $5 each. I was not about to let that go by. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Crikey, Keets! You just undisputedly qualified yourself for more gov't scrutiny and are now firmly emplanted on the HSA and any other terrorist groupies lists, fer sher. You could now, with the blessing of the gov't, be held without bail and without charges for unlimited time. Ain't the Shrub's New Democracy grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Based on their track record, they'll never find him.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Now wait a minute there Larry. They can't touch me. I'm the guy that's supposed to be watching you.

UA100, Good 'Murican and Gub'ment spy...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:00:25 GMT, "Michael Daly" brought forth from the murky depths:

Wrong. It's alway the little guys they find. They can't see a tank rolling down the street blowing houses off their foundations but they can always find a kid with a 1" pocket knife sitting in school.

Just for kicks, I walked through the security at the Oakland, CA Seattle, WA, and Anchorage, AK airports with a 9" 'weapon' in full view. They challenged a set of 1-1/4" blunt-nosed scissors in the bag next to me but overlooked the freshly sharpened pencil sticking out of my pocket, glaring at the inspector. UFR! Airport security AFTER 9/11 is more of a farce than it was before.

I hope they don't jail the student who proved that their security sucked the biggest one ever.

-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:20:27 GMT, Unisaw A100 brought forth from the murky depths:

Tell me it ain't so, Agent ooU.

Oh, that's right. I forgot that it was -they- (our CIA) who created Khadafy (Syria), Hussein (Iraq), the Shah (Iran), and most of the other terrorists who are around today.

The movie SkullsII was on yesterday. It told of the secret societies within the upper tier of educational institutions and I'll bet it was based heavily on the truth.

Who IS pulling all those global strings, anyway? You's a gummint man. Fess up. ;)

-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There's this guy.

OK, I've told too much.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Actually, I'm fairly certain that what they did was to set up their system to remove things from inventory when the purchase was completed, and not when the customer placed it in their cart. It's all water under the bridge in any case. I have a local Rockler's that is more than happy to take my money.

Reply to
kenR

If they did that and the customer never completes the transaction, then the item stays out of inventory even though not sold. They'd have to design a timeout mechanism to put it back. Too long and they miss inventory - too short and the customer finds his order suddenly disappeared when he went to the bathroom. The web is stateless and that makes foolproof transaction processing difficult at best.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

I don't buy that. I cannot think of a single modern relational database that does not have transactional processing built in ... this should not be a problem/excuse, even in a stateless environment like the web.

It's done all the time. If what you say was the case, there would be no Internet banking over the web.

Reply to
Swingman

Sorry, Mike ... I didn't mean that to sound so snippy. Had to work late and still on the first cup of coffee. Mea culpa.

Reply to
Swingman

The relational database is hooked to the web server, not the user. How does the relational database know what the user is doing if the transaction takes several _independent_ steps? Completion/rollback of a transaction has to be triggered from something - what is that?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

The mechanism varies. It could be as simple as a cookie, or a timeout, or as complicated as a client side script and buffers. "Commit trans" is never sent to the database without a specific, verifiable trigger mechanism ... as I stated earlier, Internet banking would not be possible unless there was a mechanism to do this in a stateless environment.

Hell, commerce on the Internet would be impossible if there was no mechanisms for maintaining state on a web transaction.

Reply to
Swingman

Khadafy is in Syria now? Man, I new some of these guys were nomadic, but this is news - who's running Libya then? No, wait, who's on first isn't he....

Greg

Reply to
Groggy