Conan the Librarian...

Patrick Olguin

I think folks can think for themselves without you prodding them...

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

you do that. I'll be waiting with "baited" breath. (Let's see how many idiots correct me, not knowing the reason for that spelling...)

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

gee chuck, the only thing "not pretty" is that you are an anal twit...and to compound the problem you've very little sense of humor, Mr. Uptight. Bring it on!! :)

(I couldn't resist...take a deep breath and realize I'm just messin' with you, regardless of YOUR own suspicions)

If you come out with guns aflaming, but I sense there's a bit of TIC in your comments, I'll retract my statement about you having NO SOH.

(This should be interesting!)

dave

C> > > trite, and the librarian stereotype is so cliched as to be laughable. > >

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

"These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper, but MINDS alive on the shelves." -- Gilbert Highet

ObWW: making paper for books is the most extreme form of woodworking.

Ken Muldrew

Frankly, I don't care what you think about my SOH.

Only if you like playing with yourself, 'cause I'm done with you.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

Hey, this is fun:

The learning of the few is despotism; the learning of the many is liberty.

Francis Bacon

How miserable are the idle hours of an ignorant man.

Aldo Leopold

The palest ink is clearer than the best memory.

Chinese

We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library, the walls of which are filled from floor to ceiling with volumes of books. The books are written in languages the child does not understand. The child seems to note some arrangement in the books-- an order which he only dimly suspects, but can not comprehend.

Albert Einstein re the universe, 1920

Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted, nor for talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider.

Roger Bacon

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

My favorite, all encompassing quote, is from Tertullian:

Credo Quia Absurdum Est

(watson - who knows that the harpies will descend and insist on the correct quote - but who is comfortably enamoured of the usual.)

My second favorite is from Augustine:

Love God (or insert your actionable entity of choice) and do as you will.

(watson - who is secure in the knowledge that the City Of God is no more different from the City Of Wreck than any other City is.)

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Language is a virus.

William Burroughs.

Reply to
bridger

wow, are you CRANKY! (AND, as I suspected, you have ZERO, NADA , sense of humor). I'm severely disappointed in you, Chuck...

dave

C> Bay Area Dave wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I could not live without books. (Thomas Jefferson)

They use to clearcut forests for newsprint, now it's particle board...

Reply to
D. A. Clark

Mensa Measurement - from the Mensa Magazine a long time ago... early

80s(?)

  1. Measure with micrometer

  2. Mark with chalk

  1. Cut with chain saw

  2. Sledge hammer to fit

Agkistrodon - who was a Mensan until he figured out that he did not want to be a member of any club that would have him as a member

Reply to
Agkistrodon

Bay Area Dave, are these your stats?

762 usenet posts in the last 14 1/2 days? 52.5 posts per day? At 7 days a week and 8 hour a day, that's 6.6 posts per hour? That's more than a post every 10 minutes.

Man you need your own radio talk show. :)

Reply to
Bannerstone

On 27 May 2004 12:21:36 -0700, Bannerstone stated wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

You misspelled "762 trolls", Mr. B. And why are so many of you guys still so intent on responding to them? The rest of us are all sick and tired of his trolling. Feh!

- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.

Larry Jaques

of course I didn't post 762 times in 2 weeks. geez, you are a frickin' IDIOT!! How do you dream up such nonsense?? I posted an average of about 19 posts per day over the past 16 days, spread out over several newsgroups.

asshole!

dave

Bannerst> Bay Area Dave, are these your stats?

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Did I follow the proscribed proceedure?

Reply to
D. A. Clark

Groucho Marx

Reply to
Yahoo

I think Groucho Marx was Jewish and as a rule, those guys have pretty good judgement about such things.

bob g.

Yahoo wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway