compound miter question (crown molding)

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to cut crown molding so that it not only turns a 90 degree outside corner, but then rises up a slope? I've got charts giving me cut angles, but nothing for this.

What I'm doing is putting crown molding on a porch roof. At the corner, I'm thinking the roof pitch being low (3/12) it will make for an akward looking return. I'd like to have the crown molding turn the corner, then continue up the slope of the roof.

Is this possible?

-jb

Reply to
John

It can be done. Go to this website and get the book. It's very good.

Rocky

Rocky

yes and no.

it's 2 cuts, one right after the other. if you try to combine them the profiles won't meet. if the pitch is slight and the crown is painted you can get away with massaging the corner to eliminate the overhangs, but if it's stain grade or is close enough for the eye to get a good look at it or the pitch is significant, do the turn followed immediately by the rise.

Reply to
bridger