composite lumber

mostly seems to be use for decking

but how else can these be used

is there a structural composite lumber for floor and ceiling joists

is there a lot of dust or is it akin to cutting plastic

does this stuff require special blades

Reply to
Electric Comet

Several years ago I was faced with replacing the board on the outside of my sliding doors. I looked around and decided on a 1 X 6 composite board, that already was "painted" white.

I used my standard wood blade and bits. It was as easy to work as standard lumber, and was easy to trim the edge with a router. However if you are doing a lot I understand that dulls the blades and bits faster that standard wood.

8 years later when we sold the house it still looked as good as it did when I installed it, and there was no evidence of degradation. I doubt that buyer even realized it was composite.
Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Composite is a generic term for many different "recipes"...Some are no diff erent as far as a wood comparison, some are very different. I used a compos ite/recycled decking material that may have had a sand/silica component as it absolutely tore up my blades...

Reply to
bnwelch

Electric Comet wrote in news:noask8$9s7$1 @dont-email.me:

I've used it for ice rink boards (I had some extra), I built a green bean planter with it, but it's not too big, only about 6' or so and it's starting to sag in the middle.

On the deck, it's got to be supported every 16". 12 is better. If you try 24", it will bounce quite a bit.

The dust isn't dust but rather chips. It cuts just fine with standard tools.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

SWMBO wants some raised garden beds for the day-hab farm that she works at. Many of her disabled clients can' t work down on the ground, so they often get excluded from gardening activities.

If she can get the funding, I'll be be building these for her. The vinyl-sleeved 4x4's will provide support so her clients can sit on the edge and work.

They have a pretty decent shop on the farm so I can build them on site.

Reply to
DerbyDad03