Question regarding laminated flooring

Had a major change of plans. :( :)

Long story short, my current living room is being divided up to a bedroom and a den/office. It currently has a hardwood floor, with a vapor barrier and some sort of padding. It is a floating floor.

My question is, can I just cut the floor, say 5 1/2" wide for the width of the room, and have the wall built and finished, with a baseboard and end up with two floors, or take the bedroom out and leave the floor in the den?

We are ending up with guardianship of two grand kids, who knows for how long, and as part of the project we will be building (having built) a living room, and the kitchen extended, and soffits cut out. Real glad I didn't get the cabinets for my kitchen even rough cut. I'll be glad when it is all underway so I can build my new cabinets.

Reply to
OFWW

No reason why not. I've even seen the stud wall built right on top of the hardwood floor with it not being a load bearing wall. Not recommending it - but I've seen it done without problems.. You don't say if the wall will run across the hardwood, or parallel with the flooring - - -

Reply to
clare

Yes. The only issue you might run into is having some really short pieces near the cut line. If they try to wiggle out just secure them with a small trim nail on the end, or glue to an adjacent piece.

Oh, and good for you for cutting the section out. In my last house a previous owner had put in a new wall right over the carpet.... and heating vent. I kid you not.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The wall is run across the room on a concrete slab, the flooring currently is run 90 deg to the wall. I wouldn't want the wall on the flooring as it has padding, and I may want to replace it somewhere down the road.

Reply to
OFWW

Good Grief!

Thanks for your answer, it would save a ton of time ripping it up and relaying it down.

Reply to
OFWW

One other thing... If I were doing that job I would put down some Ram Board or equivalent floor protector on the engineered flooring. Not only does it protect the finished floor, but it doesn't get slippery from sawdust the way a finished wood floor does.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Difficult times - here's wishing all-the-best for you & the grandkids and their parents too. Without knowing the details of your situation - do seek the help of the social work professionals who dedicate their lives to difficult situations. Don't under-estimate the trauma those kids are going through. A cherry popsicle and a Disney tape in the VCR won't cut it. It's a different world now. really different. Seek out a group < as in group therapy > of other Grandparents who are going through a similar experience - you will be surprised how many are out there ! < thank me later > The logistics of the kids living space .. is far far less important than the love & hugs & time spent caring for their feelings. Sorry for hijacking the thread - poop happens. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Yes, depending upon orientation of the floor boards, be sure to leave that gap for expansion on both sides, and take care to protect the floor when you're cutting it.

This is an excellent job for a plunge saw with a track system, like the Festool TS-55 ... and, an excellent opportunity to put one in the building budget, with the money you saved by DIY.

Reply to
Swingman

Great minds!!

Reply to
-MIKE-

Thanks Mike, I was wondering which way to go on that.

Reply to
OFWW

I appreciate your thoughts, you are describing what we are getting setup for the near future here, with the self help programs and such. Need to be able to recognize warning signs, but the kids have been excelling in school, with new friends and such, yet what you are describing we are in the process of it.

Who knows how their parents are going to change or when. So we are looking at long term care, but hoping for short term.

Your thoughts mean a lot to me. They used to ask to come to our house on weekends and holidays. Now I think I know why.

Reply to
OFWW

Now there's a thought! After all a very clean cut is desirable there. At each end I'll need to use one of those vibrating cutters, where the circular saw can't cut.

Off to check the prices. :)

Reply to
OFWW

And take heart in knowing that grand parents raising their grand children can be a very rewarding experience for both.

An outstanding Olympian, Simone Biles.

Leon

Great article, thanks.

Reply to