I finally remembered to get some shots of the flytying station I finished a while back. It's got a carcase of cherry, a top of some wild curly cherry, a drawer front of quilted maple, and the other main parts are out of q-sawn sycamore:
The carcase is dovetailed together, the uprights are mortised into the top, and the beams/arms are mortised to receive the tenons from the uprights. The spool-holding platform is a two-sided "box" mitered together, and supported by grooves/dados cut in the side-supports plus a shallow groove in the top.
The spools are stored on 3/16" brass rod which passes through holes in the top and is secured in place by corresponding holes drilled into a piece of poplar which sits inside the "box". The box is closed up by a piece of 1/4" ply that fits into rabbets cut into the top and the poplar support piece.
The finish is BLO followed by superblonde Paddylac. The top was rubbed down with superfine steel wool and regular old Minwax.
The majority of the work was done with handtools, but I did get the routah out to do the roundingovah on the arms and the edges of the top.