Collapsible wooden shelving?

I'm not a wood worker at all.

What I am is a guy going back to college late in life and need advice

I need some kind of shelving that is light, compactable, will break down and fit into a small compact car for transport..... but when assembled can hold up a small TV, computer printer, etc

I've seen metal shelving and carts at Sam's Wholesale and Costco that fit these requirement but are still heavy when broken down. I'm talking abt the wire mesh shelving like you might see in food service industry or a bakery.

Does there exist a similar concept for shelving made of wood?

I just need all my "possessions" to be able to fit into a compact car when I leave college for the summer

Advice?

Reply to
me

Been there, done that...

You need less stuff

How about those plastic crates you put milk in? You can get them at a place like Staples, etc. Use them for books, files, etc. When you are done, load your stuff into them, and cart them home. For books, set on edge, and stack them...

Reply to
professorpaul

When the wife and I were first married (1970) we didn't have a pot. We made some shelving out of boards and decorative cement blocks. The weight of the blocks keeps things together and they're cheap enough to discard when finished.

You might even use the crate idea instead of blocks, but they are light so you'll probably have to connect them to the boards in some manor.

Reply to
Tom H

Tom H. wrote: snip>You might even use the crate idea instead of blocks, but they are light so you'll probably have to connect them to the boards in some manor.

Or at least in the dormatory. Tom

Reply to
tom

Ikea. Well, it sorta looks like wood. Some of it. Some of it really is wood.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

My workshop shelving and wood racking is Ikea's "Sten" shelving. It's big, crude, cheap and held together with huge screws. I can't buy the raw timber for what they sell this stuff for.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yep that might just work if there is some way to securely join them together to create a bigger structure that I need

Reply to
me

Plastic ties from the dollar store.

Reply to
Guess who

I use the same stuff for the same reasons. Garage, basement etc.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Great idea!

Reply to
me

Concrete blocks and shelves of any length. Buy the blocks and the boards at the school location.

Spray can of black(or any other color) paint for blocks.

Buy the boards at Home Depot or Lowes.... Look for melamine coated boards. They will be in the closet section.

Total cost $50 max....

When no longer needed, sit next to the street and it will be taken care of.

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber