climb cut

On 6/8/2020 11:41 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote: ...

What's the fun in that?

Although it could make one of the smaller moulding machines look atractive rather than multiple passes on single-spindle shaper.

But, if there's no rush...

Reply to
dpb

I have a vegetable garden... the shavings compost well. ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I have a Jet Planer/Molder with which I'll mill the relief on the bottom... I can run it at the fast feed rate as the finish doesn't matter. That step will probably be the easiest and quickest of the bunch... Especially considering that I felled a 30" dbh ash and milled it into boards with an Alaskan Chainsaw Mill... I got 3 mostly clear logs, each 10.5 feet long, out of that tree. Only the third log had any branches to speak of. Unfortunately it was in a rather inaccessible location (leach field, landscaping, steep grade, wetland, buildings, etc.) and I could neither get a band saw mill to it nor get it out of there without doing a lot of damage. Relief I could do in my sleep. ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Agreed, they're not that far out of line with the high end but why would I not buy a SawStop or Laguna (or pick your poison) at a similar price point? As I mentioned, I'd worry about parts, down the line. Are they still going to be around after everyone makes the same calculation?

Reply to
krw

Not so sure about that. Some species of wood are pretty hard on gardens. Ash may be pretty benign though. That said, I'm planning on emptying out my dust collector out in the woods soon. My garbage can will be full for the next two months (Styrofoam packing from the bandsaw).

Reply to
krw

On 6/9/2020 1:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote: ...

Dunno. That's your call...dunno what others are agonna' do, neither.

Some still have a distaste over SawStop tactics; altho I doubt there's enough of that legacy any longer to be observable.

Iffen the safety thing is your thing, then SS would be the obvious choice. Probably for any commercial shop these days one wouldn't want anything else just for liability/insurance whether the saw itself was worth it or not.

Does Laguna have a safety version out? I've not tried to keep up; I'm not upgrading my old PM Model 66. Last I knew Hitachi had tried with a workaround but not sure if it survived the SS legal challenge...don't recall ever seeing one.

The job site saws around here I see are all DeWalt or Ridgid; that surprised me too, but apparently initial cost is still the overrider over the SS job site models.

I was "just sayin'" re: the apparent tool and price point re: the Harvey WW -- they've survived 20 years or so on mostly overseas markets it seems where the safety thingie has always been bigger than US so looks like they have some sort of a market.

Can they make significant inroads in US? I'd guess not terribly likely altho w/ Delta and PM essentially out of the market, maybe a niche...

Reply to
dpb

I was just looking at it from a marketing position. I'd certainly want to see one.

I'm with you there. Time heals all wounds and since they're now in the green family, I've buried that hatchet.

Sure.

I was thinking more the bandsaw and dust collector end of the business but I don't think they have the SS mechanism either. I've never seen a Laguna table saw but the prices look good. The SS patent has expired so there could be more entrants if the demand is there. Didn't DeWalt, or some such, put out a contractors saw with SS technology?

I'm not upgrading my Unisaur, either. I'd look at SS again if I didn't have it.

Theft and damage have to be issues too.

I thought someone said that they were a different "Harvey"? I haven't a clue and really not the interest to go find who's who. I just got the Harvey spam and was intrigued.

Laguna is in the table saw market now with some very interesting products. Their price point looks good but I don't know where I could touch one. Everyone sells SSs.

Reply to
krw

AND FWIW SawStop is no longer owned by the inventors, they sold to Festool a few years back.

Reply to
Leon

Not so sure about that. Some species of wood are pretty hard on gardens. Ash may be pretty benign though. That said, I'm planning on emptying out my dust collector out in the woods soon. My garbage can will be full for the next two months (Styrofoam packing from the bandsaw).

Ash rots quickly and is benign from what I've seen. I put pine, fir, ash, chestnut, maple and cherry shavings and swarf in the compost pile. I don't put walnut, elm, eastern red cedar or locust in... A lot of other stuff goes in too (e.g,. kitchen scraps, yard waste) and the compost has consistently been very good.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

That was I, also. Yes the Harvey WW and Harvey Performance metalworking folks are totally separate entities. The WW'ing one isn't an entirely new company, however; they've just begun selling the product under their own name in the US is all. They've been international and an OEM supplier for other manufacturers all along.

That's from their website; I really don't know that much about them, personally altho had come across them a while back while searching for something else used--don't even remember what I was looking for at the time, now. Mayhaps the larger DC after I finally decided to ante-up and hook up the PM 180 planer that hadn't after the move 'cuz didn't have

3PH power...so hadn't moved the DC from TN when we came back...but couldn't bring myself to actually turn loose of the planer. :)

I've heard mixed reviews on Laguna -- they're another one that nobody that I've ever had access to carried so haven't ever seen one. Not sure whether they have any floor space anywhere.

For home/small shop use, I'd probably still take the expedient of finding a used 14" Delta -- they're ubiquitous that wouldn't take long to find at reasonable price point.

Only if major resaw is the primary purpose would really have to have anything heavier.

Reply to
dpb

And undoubtedly a wise decision...I've not looked to see what happened to pricing since???

Is it green now? If green and yellow that's a 20% premium at least! :)

Reply to
dpb

One thing I noted is that they claim to have 200 employees. That doesn't sound like enough to run a manufacturing company--it leads me to suspect that they're mainly a marketing company.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Well, no doubt they also use suppliers as well....I just noticed the building picture on the web site has Chinese on it as well; had overlooked that before. A little more searching uncovered the CA operation is a subsidiary of Harvey Industries International which is Chinese. Turns out they've be Bridge City Toolworks' OEM and just bought BCTW last year...

Reply to
dpb

I've a Laguna 16LT bandsaw. Excellent saw. I also have a Laguna Horizontal Morticer, it works best when securely fastened to the floor and/or braced to the wall for the cleanest mortices.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I have not seen any significant change in either the color or pricing. LOL

Reply to
Leon

FWIW Laguna table saws have been around for a long time, the European models. Relatively recently they have started offering the much less expensive Asian built table saws, Fusion, that look more "American Traditional. About 7 years ago when I was shopping for a "safer" TS I talked with Laguna and they absolutely were pointing me towards their Euro style saws, T5S, as an upgrade from my Jet cabinet saw. The newer line was much lighter weight and less robust. Their Band Saws have gone the Euro and Asian route relatively recently. IIRC if the model ends with "HD" it is Italian made, otherwise Asian.

Ultimately I am happy with my industrial Saw Stop. It offers safety, which was the only reason I was upgrading. BUT the scoring blade on the Laguna was a very nice feature.

The only reason I would recommend going to SS Pro model from the Unisaw would be from the safety stand point. The SS Industrial does offer a larger table surface and a lot more weight than the Pro model. With the table top off it there is a lot of iron under there.

A common Harvey is the Harvey that makes cutting bits and such.

I would not even consider the Laguna Fusion line of TS's.

Reply to
Leon

Interesting. I'd recently noticed that Bridge City tool prices had come down. Still in the stratosphere but down from orbit. I'm sure that's where they got my spammail address too. I have bought stuff (KM1/KM2) from Bridge City.

Reply to
krw