Cleaning kitchen cabinets ?

My kitchen cabinets were installed and finished, or VV, by my home builder about 40 years ago. I know my late wife cleaned them from time-to-time, but I do not recall what she may have used. I do not have the foggiest idea of what the finish is. The finish is a low luster, but not flat.

I wish to clean the outside surfaces of these cabinets but I do not want to attack the finish itself. I am thinking of using one of the presently available such as Orange Clean - or something similar, but I am unsure which one.

I will appreciate any helpful suggestions on this cleaning task.

Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

My kitchen cabinets were installed and finished, or VV, by my home builder about 40 years ago. I know my late wife cleaned them from time-to-time, but I do not recall what she may have used. I do not have the foggiest idea of what the finish is. The finish is a low luster, but not flat.

I wish to clean the outside surfaces of these cabinets but I do not want to attack the finish itself. I am thinking of using one of the presently available such as Orange Clean - or something similar, but I am unsure which one.

I will appreciate any helpful suggestions on this cleaning task.

Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

I use this green degreaser from the Despot. Cleans cabinets nicely. It is said: Do not use Murphy's Oil Soap.

--Scott

Reply to
Scott Burright

Thompsons furniture soap? I think that this is what it is called. I have used it on my antiques for years, works good and looks good.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick

There are two different formulations of Murphy's. The spray bottle version is much different than the pour-out version. Murphy's even states on the label that the two are incompatible.

Which version are you talking about?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Murphy's! That's what I meant, not Thompson's. Sorry about that.

Reply to
Patrick

Must be the pour-out version. Note "it is said." I didn't say it. ;-)

--Scott

Reply to
Scott Burright

The spray version has silicone in it.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I'll have to check to remember what exact green liquid in a squeeze bottle I bought to clean my cabinets. Basically some surfactant.

--Scott

Reply to
Scott Burright

My wife did try to clean some 30 year old oak cabinets with a cleaner and abrasive and has taken off the finish in spots where she cleaned particularly well. Any suggestions to repair these areas to match the original finish?

Reply to
OldHippieDave

Try "Simple Green" diluted according to the label for cleaning. After that, I personally would use a furniture paste wax but I can understand people using something like Pledge. As for the "Orange" cleaners, be careful. Some finishes are known to fail after use.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron