Chop Saw Laser Guides, Are they any good?

1) What is this groups opion of the Laser Guide options for Chop Saws? Are they worth having and do they really work?

2) Which is better, a single side or dual sided guide?

3) Who makes the best AFTER MARKET Laser Guide?
Reply to
JT

"JT @yahoo.com>" 1) What is this groups opion of the Laser Guide options for Chop Saws?

Isn't this the exact same post that made the rounds here a month or so ago?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I saw this one demoed at a woodworking show:

was going to buy one, but the guy was too busy selling them and I had to leave. The demo was very impressive, and it really seems like this could improve accuracy and save time (by removing the need to sneak up on cuts, for one thing).

I'm still planning to get one, but for now I don't have any first hand experience.

Mike "JT @yahoo.com>" 1) What is this groups opion of the Laser Guide options for Chop Saws?

Reply to
Mike in Mystic
1) What is this groups opion of the Laser Guide options for Chop Saws? Are they worth having and do they really work?

2) Which is better, a single side or dual sided guide?

3) Who makes the best AFTER MARKET Laser Guide?
Reply to
JC

My opinion is that lasers are unnecessary. I can get on target if i use my "good eye" and only have to sneak up once more or so from there. My only experience with using lasers was the standard unit on the Hitachi and Delta CMS. Both seemed to worked equally well, but i thought, and still think, lasers are more gimmicky than useful. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

I would never buy anything from someone who states ALL SALES ARE FINAL--NO REFUNDS on their website.

Dave

TeamCasa

Agreed, but if you pay by credit card, and they sell you junk, you can have the charge reversed. But yes, I'd buy from anyone else first if I could.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well, there could be a problem if it works as they say it should but you're just not happy...not at all sure that would qualify unequivocally under the Fair Credit Act provisions for a guaranteed refund.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

operated when the saw blade is spinning. While I haven't yet tried one, it seems like having to turn on the saw before lining up the cut would be somewhat self-defeating. Are there any lasers with a separate on switch like you'd find on the newer Delta saw, for example, that don't require the blade to be spinning first?

Reply to
Mike Pio

The one on the delta does not mount to the blade so it can have a switch. I have both the blade point and a separate one and both have their advantages. The separately mounted one has the advantage of a separate switch so it can be turned on whenever. The down sides are finding a good place to mount it, keeping it aligned, keeping it clean. The advantage of the blade point will mount to just about any saw and requires no alignment. It is also much brighter than my separately mounted one. The downsides are that they run on batteries that will need to be replaced, the saw has to run for it to work, the light is actually to the left of the actual cut line. I personally find the blade point to be a good unit that works well. All you really need to do is just tap the trigger to get it to come on and with the saw in the fully up position, the blade guard will protect you from the spinning blade. I also bought a blade point for my RAS and it made aligning it a dream.

Reply to
TBone

I picked up a combo/bonus deal for something similar at Home depot. It was about $50.00 for a 12" blade and the lazer. I didn't think the lazer would be that helpful, but I admit I do like it.

Reply to
ToolMiser

Yes, there is the Laserkerf laser. Here is a detailed review:

that helps!

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

70 woodworking product reviews online!

- Infinity Kitchen Making Router Bit Set

- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps

- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment

- Ryobi Right Angle Drill

- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer

- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction

Woodcrafter