Cherry Finish-How long to darken?

It sure it, that is industrial strength. Heavy stuff in a drum. We have a couple of hundred gallons at work so I just gave it a try. I was astonished at the fast reaction. I'd not even consider taking any home at that strength. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Doesn't that start with "once every hour for a day...?"

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

Drain cleaner doesn't work nearly as well as lye (in my oppinion). I used 1 tsp per cup and it worked perfectly. I did a king size panel bed this way and it was the easiest thing in the world. I used the lye to match up the wood, assembled, sanded as much as necessary and then re- applied the lye. The spots that were already dark didn't darken any more and any spots I'd sanded through darkened right back up.

I tried the same thing on some cherry plywood and it worked the same way, BUT the plywood had a lot of sapwood in it and that didn't darken. I assume that it looked the same after the lye treatment as it would have after 20 years. If so, I'd sure have been dissappointed as the piece aged if I was using the plywood.

BTW, I found that if the lye concentration was too high, it would leave white residue after it dried. I had to use white vinegar to clean this off.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Potassium dichromate in water. Best way to darken cherry, mahogany, etc.

RB

Toller wrote:

Reply to
RB

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:33:46 -0500, "George" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

Arrogance in a surgeon maybe,,,arrogant pilots are the first ones to ignore ATC's and end up making an aluminum shower. big difference between arrogance and confidence

i was visiting my wife at work a while ago. some of you know she's an ATC, but anyhow... i am sitting there and i hear one of the other controllers tell a plane he needed to circle around the outer marker due to weather. . . he replied in a REAL snippy voice " you know, it costs my company a thousand dollars every time i need to make a circle up here. . ." to which the controller replied, "so gimme 3 grand worth"

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Inside the cockpit, arrogance is willing to make the decision. What kills is indecision as altitude decreases. Traffic control is for protection against others, not self-survival.

Hate to tell you how many "arrogant" controllers there are (were) out there.

Reply to
George