Cherry feet on a maple box.

Hi all. I'm building a box and I want to put some cherry feet that I have cut onto the corners of a maple box. What I'm not sure how to do is deal with the finishing. I'll be finishing the maple box with a clear stain and the cherry feet with a cherry stain. Then entire box with be coated with a clear shelac top coat. Should I stain the feet before or after I attach them to the box? I'm not sure how I would prevent the cherry stain from getting on the maple if I attach the feet first. If I stain the feet before attaching them, how do I prevent the glue from getting on the stained woods?

Thanks, Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Eberwein

What's a "clear stain"?

Why? What's wrong with the color God put there?

Simple: don't stain the cherry. It doesn't need it.

-- Regards, Doug Miller

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter, email me at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

Reply to
Doug Miller

Why bother? Isn't the point of 'stain' to 'stain' the wood - in other words, to change the color?

Before, unless you are _really_ good at applying stain...

Me neither ;)

Masking tape on the joint edges (ala David Marks) and careful application of glue.

Reply to
Chris Merrill

This is a scary question. As someone else said: there is no such thing as a clear stain.

The bad news is that the question shows your ignorance. The good news is that ignorance us curable. (if you happen to be stupid, and I am not suggesting that in any way, you're pretty much stuck with that)

Pick up the "understanding wood finishing" by bob flexner ($11.85 at amazon). This will probably answer any question you might have. If you still have more questions, they likely use the right words.

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

First, I wouldn't stain the cherry, I would let it naturally develop its color. However, if you do decide to stain the feet, stain the feet before attaching them to the box. Then, put one coat of finish on the feet before glue-up. Then the glue will easily wipe off. Don't put the finish where you are gluing.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas