cherry darkening under polyurethane

I made some nightstands out of solid cherry and cherry plywood and finished them only with oil-based polyurethane. Will the cherry still darken under the polyurethane? I've seen a few responses to this question in searches, but many of those responding were speculating. Does anyone have any personal experience with cherry pieces finished just with oil-based poly (no other oil first) and how they darkened. Thanks.

Charles

Reply to
calerner

Mine has.

How fast it happens is also light dependant.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

And whether your Poly had UV resistent additives in it? Do you want them to, or not want them to?

Reply to
mark

I wanted a piece of goncalo alves to remain light, so I thought would use outdoor varnish with UV resistance. The varnish company said that it would get cloudy indoors because it had to be exposed to UV. Don't know if it is true because I didn't do it.

Reply to
toller

I have cabinets, a post office desk, and a dining room table with 15+ years on them. The darkening is obvious, esp on the cabinets where the outside is darker than the inside. Polyurethane will not prevent darkening (thank goodness) but it will slow it down considerably. It may take 5 years to darken to what would occur in a year unfinished.

I think cherry has to be the finest cabinetmaking wood I have had the chance to use.

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew

If the Poly is thick and has UV protectant they will still darken but very slowly. If it doesn't they darken faster. If you want to spped it up, set them outside on a few sunny days (ie wait till summer or take a trip to Austraila). Make sure to keep the exposure pretty consistent because it can darken them pretty quick.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

There is nothing more beautiful than naturally darkened cherry. Tatstes are personal, which is why God made so many different trees.

Rob

Reply to
sandman

I want them to.

Reply to
calerner

It certainly is one of the nicest for developing patina although it can be somewhat cantankerous for wanting to chip, etc...

For simply working properties I think walnut as almost the perfect combination...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

A recipe box made from fine light cherry for my wife and finished with poly has darkened beautifully over the past 4 years. She keeps it in a place where sunlight doesn't hit it and so it's changing color very slowly, but perceptibly. If you must, one way to prevent this is to keep the piece covered.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall