Porter Cable Omnijig

I'm thinking of getting a dovetail jig after the first of the year. The PC Omnijig (16 inch) looks good. Any pros and cons from owners would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
MikeK

I had a big one with all of the attachments. I made a lot of drawers with the half blind dovetail template. Used the 1/4 inch finger joint a lot. Had the adjustable dovetail set and it worked fine. The biggest problem with all of these jigs on the market is the simpler the jig the easiest to learn. The Omni will do a great job but it takes time to learn. max

Reply to
max

You have to tell us what you want to use it for! It is well suited for somethings, and not so good for others.

Reply to
toller

Time to learn is no problem. I'll be retiring in June.

Mike

Reply to
MikeK

Well, I would like to make different kinds of boxes and new kitchen drawers with it to start. What is it not suited well for.

Mike

Reply to
MikeK

It would be great for new kitchen drawers. If comes into it's own making a lot of exactly the same standard half blind dovetails; like what your kitchen drawers will need. Though the 16" capacity will be wasted. Maybe a smaller, cheaper, jig will be okay for that also, but none have the reassuring mass of an omnijig. (The 24" weighs 60 pounds; I don't know about the 16".)

It is not so good with creative variable stuff. Some of the other, more complicated, jigs do that better.

Reply to
toller

Since that's the case, why not start now to learn to whack 'em out by hand?

By the time it might take to master the PC Omnijig you could be teaching the rest of us how to to use Japanese pull saws to cut the little debils -- you'd save a small fortune and you could charge tuition to make up for the SS losses sure to come :-/

Reply to
Steve

Hi Mike,

You'll love retirement. I retired in September (medical problems) and have made a kitchen table and a jewelry box so far. Nothing but time and stacks of wood.

Steve

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Reply to
SteveC1280

Steve, I hope to enjoy myself while I can (I'll only be 60 when I retire). I plan to keep busy in the shop and watching the grandson after school.

Mike

Reply to
MikeK

PC has, or will have soon, a new model 4212 12" deluxe Jig. The PC site makes it sound good. I'll wait till I can actually look at the

12" deluxe and the 16" Omnijig (if I can find them at Lowes or HD).

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike

Reply to
MikeK

I have to comment on your last sentence....

I am now 61...(just had a birthday last week) and I retired the day I turned 55....

It does NOT take long for those "stacks" of wood to disapear..BELIEVE ME.... I thought I had enouygh to last forever ... dumb me !

Nor does it take much time before you start to notice you do not have any ..... (time that is)

Lots of luck....

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Well, if we're bragging, I've been retired a year longer than you and I'm only 58 (although 59 next month).

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Yeh, I read the description. It is sheet steel instead of cast aluminum. Might be as good, or might just be the same as all the cheapies.

Reply to
toller
.

No I was not bragging...because I still work one evening a week just to remine myself why the hell I retired in the first place... Plus I find 6 day weekends to be much more enjoyable then 7 day weeks....

BUT my main reason was to tell the OP that his "stack" of lumber will disapear a lot faster then he thinks...

I know the " lifetime " supply I accumulated before I retired only lasted me a few years LOL

Bob Griffiths.

Reply to
Bob G.

I know, but I needed to.

I never have acquired a lot of lumber. So I had to brag about retirement...

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Mike, I am almost 68 and am retired and working more than ever before. I have the best "job" on earth...getting tools to review and use. As to Omnijig, it has no greater learning curve thatn any of the others.

Reply to
JLucas ILS

I agree, it isn't very difficult to learn to use a tool. Mastering it is another issue.

Mike

Reply to
MikeK