Checking for residual glue before staining

I have just completed gluing up the top for a side board. I have sanded the piece and it looks like all the glue has been removed from the surface. But is there any way to test that there is no residual glue before I apply stain?

thanks for your help

Steve

Reply to
SteveH

John

Wipe the top with mineral spirits. You should see a difference between the wood and wood with glue on the surface after wiping.

Reply to
stoutman

What wavelength? 215 nm ? 254 nm ?

Reply to
stoutman

That's good, but you also have a chance when you set up with water before final sanding. Just make sure you use your eye, critically, rather than you mind, hopefully, and you'll catch the stuff. With a damp, soft surface, it scrapes pretty well, too.

Reply to
George

I haven't used it yet, but today I saw an ad for Titebond that fluoresces when hit with a black light. For regular glue, wipe the surface with mineral spirits and look for light areas. I used alcohol today to check for glue because it was handy. I'm not sure if that's as good as using mineral spirits, though.

If memory serves me correctly you can buy an additive to put in your glue instead of buying the special Titebond glue with it already in it.

Dave

SteveH wrote:

Reply to
David