Chalkboard

Hey yo all. I'm thinking of making some chalkboards. A few Q's.

  1. Does anyone sell chalkboard surfaced ply/mdf/whatever?
  2. I know that chalkboard paint is available but I'm concerned that I wouldn't get it as smooth. Even so, anyone know who sells it? Any tips such as best substrate, best application method, etc?

BW

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Seems almost everyone (even schools) has shifted to whiteboards. But if you must, spray the chalkboard paint with the board horizonal. It shouldn't be too hard to get it even. You can use hardboard or any other smooth surface.

-j

Some of today's materials were not available when I made several for our children so I used pressed hardboard, which was probably Masonite at the time. There was no problem with it being smooth, but then the paint was freshly shaken from the paint store, even though I used a brush to apply it.

Are you sure you want a chalkboard rather than a dryboard? With chalk there is no dry marker smell, but with a dry marker there is no dust; potential allergies may be a factor. Chalk doesn't dry out, but dry markers don't break when dropped (usually )

If your situation is one where you can use both sides, you might have one of each?

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

Thu, Jan 27, 2005, 4:52pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (SonomaProducts.com) wonders: anyone know who sells it?

Chalkboard paint Where to get? Gee, that's really a tough one. Probably not a paint store, eh? Sheesh.

I've also seen it in hardware stores, Wally World, K-Mart, the Borg, and so on.

JOAT Some is good, more is better, too much is just enough.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Reply to
JGS

Hi, I have several real black slate chalk boards from an old scool that I would consider selling. I have not measured them lately, but probably somewhere around 4 x 5 feet. I might even be willing to cut to the size you need. Make me a reasonable offer. Please email me at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com if interested.

Thanks, Mill

Reply to
MP Toolman

Well, I hadn't ever looked for it before and wasn't sure if it was a super specialty item or generally available. I guess the second case is true, I found it in Wal Mart by chance a few hours after the post. Made by Krylon. Thanks for the smart ass remarks though ;^)

BW

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I'm putting together inventory for some Country Crap eerrrhh I mean Craft fairs and the retro chalk boards with some cutsie Pine frames is what I'm considering so the white board would just be out of place.

I am having some fun learning some faux finishing techniques. Also after setting aside my pride, it is a lot of fun to attack a newly mad Pine cabinet with a belt sander loaded with 80 grit, a screw driver and a claw hammer. Maybe someday I'll get the guts to try that on a QS Wht Oak living room set...not.

My finest faux painting technique so far has been to unleash my 11 year old daughter with some watered down flat latex, $5 a gallon at Wal Mart.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Local Home Depot sells 2' x 4' chalk board

Reply to
Ken

I've applied chalk board paint with rollers and gotten good results, even used black and white acrylic mixed together to get grey paint and applied it with a roller - works well, goes on to Masonite. The one I use myself in the shop for messages is even wiped off with a wet sponge with no harm done so far. Last batch I made for some school teachers was Masonite, grey acrylic applied with a roller, cut up on table saw when dry. No substrate, just applied two coats.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

I wouldn't worry about using the spray can chalkboard paint. I surfaced a children's table with it, and it went on fairly easily. If there were any problems with the finish, it's hidden by the matte finish.

FYI, I used 3/4 inch baltic birch plywood, sanded and sealed for the base. It's withstood over a year of serious abuse by a 2 and 4 year old.

Reply to
justme