Chain saw won't start

My Poulan Pro 260 LE chain saw won't start after its warm up so I have to leave the saw on. The primer bulb is empty, no gas, and won't prime regardless how times its pushed - still empty full of air. After a few hours the primer bulb starts to fill up with gas and I could start it again. Any ideas, TIA.

Reply to
Fred

Check the air inlet valve in the gas cap. Sounds like it is sucking a vacuum in the tank. Otherwise check the fuel lines.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Sounds like the fuel tank vent isn't venting. Try this - run the saw until its nice and warm and the primer bulb is empty, etc. Then shut it off...wait a few mins...then remove the gas filler cap and see if the condition goes away. If it does check the tank vent.

Dave D

Reply to
Dave D

What I would do? ... Take it to the dealer who knows what he's doing, and who knows I don't. Then I'd do a bit of woodworking, or buy stuff to fill in the time.

Reply to
Guess who

You've been given a bunch of good ideas. Might want to check the little filter on the end of the gas line in the tank. If it was fairly clogged it would act like that also.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

I have two solutions to this sort of problem.

1) Electric chain saw. 2) Bow saw if the extension cord is too short and the log too heavy or still on the stump. Your own bow saw made out of wood and using a purchased replacement blade will probably cut better than a commercial steel framed saw.

Much faster and easier on the elbows and shoulders, but might not be right for you if you have a lot of sawing to do beyond the reach of an extension cord.

Reply to
fredfighter

Its been in the shop 4 times already - still under warranty.

I have some 12" x 20" x 30' of pine beams to chop up for the trash - shame, termite got to it before I could make a project out of it. The first chopped up cross section looks pretty good as the infestation is only on the surface, about the first 1/8" down and I could plane it down but don't know if this is an invitation for re-infestation if I missed a spot or two. I have 6 more of these huge beams to go. Termites even got to my redwood pile - more trash.

Reply to
Fred

I'm cutting down some 12" x 20" x 30' beams (see my post above), too old to use a bow saw and the electric chain saw would burn up in no time.

Reply to
Fred

Hey, you guys in this group are great. Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Reply to
Fred

Reply to
Gene T

Termites (unless some exotic or mutant species have recently been discovered) have part of their nest underground. When they infest wood that does not touch the ground they build mud tunnels up from the ground to the wood. Further, termites like ants and bees live collectively with a single queen, the only fertile female in the colony. If the queen and eggs have been killed, you won't get reinfested from a few surviving workers.

That said, damn, those were giant beams.

Reply to
fredfighter