Case of the overgrown insert?

In business, we taught what was called the 80% rule. Essentially,

20% of the time/cost/effort will result in 80% of the desired goal. The remaining 20% will take all the rest of the resources. It holds true in a shop, kitchen or construction as well as in the officeplace.

There is a reasonable level of tools and tool quality needed to efficiently do a job. I never warmed up to the Shopsmith-type of multitool, since I felt I'd be spending all my time setting it up, rather than just walking over to the right tool and doing something. I built a whole lot of stuff in my lifetime, with a lot of it made using a Sears contractor's saw as my primary shop tool.

When I finally built a dedicated shop for my woodworking hobby, I first kept the old Sears saw, adding a Sears RAS for crosscuts and a Sears compound miter saw for bevels and angles. It was only later that I sold the old contractor's saw and got a PM66. Another tool that I feel was irreplaceable was my 6 X 48" table belt sander with the 10" disk sander. I got a 12" Delta planer later on. For shaping, I first used an inverted Makita 1/2" router on a home made bench, but even after going with a floor-mounted shaper, I still used it a lot more than the shaper.

What's important, IMHO, is not so much the quality or expense of your equipment, it's how well they're set up and aligned, how sharp the blades are and how comfortable you feel using them.

Reply to
Nonny

Me too... NOW. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Reply to
Nonny

Ayup. It's a classic case of a dollar late and a day short. Or something like that. Oh well, at the rate that I get smarter, I will be a certified genius in less that 400 years. |~/ twitch, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Steve Turner wrote: > "Even if your wife is happy but you're unhappy, you're still happier > than you'd be if you were happy and your wife was unhappy." - Red Green

I'm stealing your sig line, btw.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Basic law of statistics.

70-30 and 90-10 are other variations.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 11:54:22 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Is that the equivalent of one woodworker saying to all the other woodworkers in the area that his tool is bigger then theirs?

Reply to
upscale