Case of the overgrown insert?

nope

Reply to
Robatoy

I'm with both of you.

I wonder of there's a correlation between the skill level/experience of a woodworker and how many shop-made (as opposed to store bought) jigs they have.

I can find arguments for both sides, but I still wonder.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I think there might be a stronger correlation between number of shop-made jigs and size of the tool budget. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

That's probably much more accurate. :-)

Personally, if time isn't the first motivator (as in, I don't have even ten minutes to go buy this thing), price is.

Just about every jig I see in the shop was built because I looked on-line or in a catalog, and my first reaction was, "HOW much!? Geez, I can *make* that."

Reply to
-MIKE-

I never tossed out a jig, unless it was just cobbled together for a single use and then taken back apart and tossed back in the bucket with other pieces. If the jig was something I would reuse, such as one I built for over the table sander to bevel the edges of coasters, then it was stored on a shelf for reuse. Those are the ones that built up over the years.

Reply to
Nonny

It's the custom-kitchen effect! When a task intimidates (like, cooking for a critical audience), it's easy to put it off by claiming one needs a six-burner gas stove, or marble countertops, or somesuch.

So, the building trades grow a tumor that caters to high-end kitchen afficianados. The customers don't have to perform in the cookroom until the renovations are "complete" ... and completion, magically, doesn't happen quickly. The custom-kitchen builder caters to his audience by working slowly and avoiding completion (but the check-cashing part has to be quick and final, of course).

If woodwork isn't intimidating, you get a knife and a block of wood, and have at it. Then you add chisels and a bench, and saws are too useful to do without. The unintimidated woodworker always has a knife nearby. He's comfortable watching Roy Underhill, but could learn a lot from Norm Abram.

The intimidated woodworker needs an extra horsepower and deeper bandsaw throat, and often treats the wood as if it was homogeneous (he didn't do a lot of knife work, so doesn't completely understand grain). He's comfortable watching Norm, but could learn a lot from Roy.

Reply to
whit3rd

Good stuff.

When I look back on the stuff I've made using inferior and fewer tools, I feel some pride and accomplishment for having done such a good job manually and using some ingenuity instead of technology.

But I also like the sense of "being there" I get from having and using a great tool. One appreciates having nice tools and what they do for you much more, when one has had to do it with less.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I like a tool that dims the lights at turn-on....of the whole town.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Clark Griswold Woodworking"

Reply to
-MIKE-

You mean the air within the insert perimeter is shrinking with the cold, and the metal around it is expanding to make up the difference?

RicodJour

That's reminds me of a pretty big mallet that I have that was made from a wooden hammer handle and a branch of a tree (directly). The unidentifiable person who made it probably did not have a Rochler nearby, but clearly knew what they were doing. It looks like a museum piece to me. When my shop is finished I may hang it on the wall for inspiration. :) If anyone would care to see it, I'll take and post a pic.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Yes, but did you think to *write* on the jig a description of why the hell you built it in the first place? I can't think of how many times I've pulled some old jig out of storage and have no earthly clue what I used it for... :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

LMAO!! I started laughing before I finished reading your first sentence!

Bought the t-shirt. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Do you have to even ask? sheesh. :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

The metal wouldn't be expanding.

Reply to
Robatoy

Exactly my point. So if all of the metal around the hole is shrinking, why is the hole getting smaller? The shrinkage takes place in the cast iron, right?

RicodJour

Yup. As the cast iron shrinks, every atom gets a little closer to every other atom - and that includes the atoms around (and on opposite sides of) the hole.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Me, me...I do :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Like so you mean we should be cooling those bearings to help get them off a shaft like getting bigger, like... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Beats me. I had a brass ring that got smaller when I heated it. Or did it get bigger? No, smaller...I wanted it bigger and it wouldn't do what I wanted. My brass and OP's saw are in the twilight zone :)

Reply to
dadiOH