For those who like to read about other people's stupid mistakes in the shop,
I've got a good one.
I was finishing up my new workbench, and turned the thing right side up for
the first time, when I realized I put the vice on the wrong end. Careless
mistake, but I figured I'd just remove it and re-install it upside down on the
other side. No way was I going to flip the whole bench again, much too heavy.
I almost threw out my back turning it over the first time.
I had used a piece of 1/4" hardboard about 4" x 3" as a spacer for the vice. I
was gonna put the back bolts in first loosely with the spacer in place, then
slide the vice on, then tighten. So I drilled new pilot holes for the vice on
the other side, and held the spacer up to match the new holes.
Here's my big, huge, boneheaded move. I had my head down there so I could see
as I drilled the first bolt in half way, with the spacer in place. However, I
didn't stop to clamp the spacer down(or up, I guess) to the bench, just held
it in place with my thumb. Turned the drill on with the hex head chucked and a
1/2" bolt in it, and away went the piece of hardboard. Never even saw it
coming. Just felt a big thump in the head and started cursing. Then I looked
down and saw the blood coming down, turned out to be a big gash in the
This ones gonna leave a big scar, and I'm trying to decide whether to go for
stitches, it's kind of deep. Could have been a lot worse, though. If my head
was up another inch, I may have lost an eye, very scary thought.
Inexperience and carelessness are a very bad combination in the workshop.
I hope someone else reads this and avoids making this stupid mistake.