Cant find wood or maker.....

I'm hoping this is a good location to find a bit of information. I'm looking for a location where I can purchase smooth wooden circles, 3

1/2 inches in diameter, and 1 inch high. Higher quality wood is preferred, walnut, oak,mahogany, etc... I need a lot of these. My biggest problem is locating anyone that deals with wood in this size. Any ideas on where I can go for something like this?

Thanks,

Reply to
acewifi

You mean like wooden hockey pucks?

A small woodshop with a lathe and tablesaw could make these. How many is 'alot'?

Post your location and some enterprising reader might contact you, providing you are willing to pay a reasonable amount.

Reply to
Rob Mitchell

| I'm hoping this is a good location to find a bit of information. I'm | looking for a location where I can purchase smooth wooden circles, 3 | 1/2 inches in diameter, and 1 inch high. Higher quality wood is | preferred, walnut, oak,mahogany, etc... | I need a lot of these. My biggest problem is locating anyone that | deals with wood in this size. Any ideas on where I can go for | something like this?

I can cut 'em at a rate of about 7500/day. You're invited to e-mail me.

Morris Dovey

I can cut 'em at a rate of about 7.5/day. You're invited to e-mail Morris. ;)

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

| I can cut 'em at a rate of about 7.5/day. You're invited to e-mail | Morris. ;)

Oh come on now, you're not really trying. I'm pretty sure you could do better than that using just one hand.

I cheat: I'd cut them using /no/ hands! :-D

Morris Dovey

Now if you can just find somebody who needs a bunch of wooden holes.....

Reply to
gw

I've already set up a cutting strategy - almost all of the scraps would be smallish triangles. Just for fun I'll post the sketch on ABPW...

Morris Dovey

Saw that, how does one identify the tool start location?

Mark & Juanita

"Morris Dovey" wrote> I've already set up a cutting strategy - almost all of the scraps

You using the same kerf twice? Ahhhh you're using your vacuum holddowns. That's fair!

Regards,

Rick

Reply to
Rick M

| On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 14:07:50 -0600, "Morris Dovey" | wrote: | || I've already set up a cutting strategy - almost all of the scraps || would be smallish triangles. Just for fun I'll post the sketch on || ABPW... | | Saw that, how does one identify the tool start location?

You're ahead of the process. This was just an attempt to map parts onto a workspace for cutting with a 1/4" bit. Using a 1/4" bit would require two passes - and if it turned out that schedule were more important than cost, I'd end up re-making the map for a 1/2" bit which would allow cutting all parts with a single pass.

Probably the easiest place to start (regardless of bit size) would be at the nine o'clock position on the leftmost circle of the topmost (or only) row. It's possible to continuously climb-cut a row at a time so that the only overhead movement is from the start/end point of one row to the start/end point of the next row.

Morris Dovey

| "Morris Dovey" wrote> I've already set up a cutting strategy - | almost all of the scraps || would be smallish triangles. Just for fun I'll post the sketch on || ABPW... | | [snip] | | You using the same kerf twice? Ahhhh you're using your vacuum | holddowns. That's fair!

Actually, I'm not using the same kerf twice; and I thought I might use double-sided tape to secure the workpiece and keep cut parts under control.

I could use the vacuum pucks if I didn't cut all the way through the stock - but then I'd need to separate the circles and do a manual clean up on each one. Sometimes it just works better to use the double-sided tape to stick the workpiece to the table.

Morris Dovey

Well I figure 100 in a day, and then 2 weeks trying to avoid seeing anything round while working up the will to do it again... but the way my latest project has been going I'd do it just to avoid having to look at the darn thing. Now that I've fixed the screw up from the fix for the screw up of the original screw up it should be smooth sailing though. Yeah right. I'm not sure how I'll manage to screw up attaching the top and making one drawer, but I'm sure I'll manage it. Then there's drilling pilot holes where there aint no room to get a drill. Some good potential for ruining the whole thing right there. Yep, tomorrow is going to be great.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

First off, Thanks to everyone who has replied. I'm not a woodmaker? myself, and actually couldn't tell you much about wood. (Gave up at 12 when I chopped part of my thumb off when whittling). Anyways, I'll definitely be contacting Mr. Dovey to talk about the specs I need, since our orders will range from 1 to 5 thousand and need quick turnaround times.

Thank you all for your advice here, as it has me looking into a couple options for this project.

Reply to
acewifi