Candidate For 2007 Idiot Of The Year Award - Me (and it's only Jan 7th)

Dust Collector Mini-Disaster

My shop is divided into two 16? x20? rooms, one ?clean? and one for noise and dust. I build a small room in the ?clean? room for my dust collector and air compressor - with sound proof walls and a weather stripped solid core door. There?s a pocket door between the Clean Room and the Noise and Dust Room - handy if it?s raining or I need a longer wood alley for the bandsaw, which is has a mobility kit.

(Here's the "shop" layout for those who have difficulty visualizing spaces given only a text description. The Sound Proof Room is in the upper left corner of the left larger room.)

it?s been on my To Do List, running compressed air lines through the walls of the Sound Proof Room into the Clean Room and the Noise and Dust Room, I hadn?t gotten around to actually doing it. Big mistake!

So, if I need compressed air, like over at the lathe in the Noise and Dust Room, I open the door of the Sound Proof Room enough to get an air hose out of it. A bit inconvenient but it works acceptably - until today.

Today I decided I wanted to try the pop bead type air nozzles I got from Enco, at Detroit Bill?s suggestion, to blow crap out of a turned box I was hollowing. AND since I already had the 4? flex dust collector hose temporarily behind the lathe - the dust and chips blown out of the box were sucked into the dust collector hose. Nice set up - and cut down on the dust and debris in the Noise and Dust Room.

An hour into hollowing and sanding and more hollowing and more sanding I heard a noise from the Clean Room. Since I was turning the dust collector on and off periodically, I guessed the upper felt bag on the dust collector had come off its support hook and, when the dust collector was turned off, had collapsed suddenly and hit the metal garbage can/separator.

Maybe 10 minutes later I grabbed a handful of turning chisels and gouges and headed for the Clean Room - where the Tormek is located.

Pulling back the pocket door between the shop?s major rooms I was hit in the face with what I feared was SMOKE! HOLY SH*T! I shouted and grabbed the nearest fire extinguisher (I?ve got four in each room).

In an instant I realized that there was no smoke smell. Wasn?t smoke - but SAWDUST! WHAT THE F*CK!?

That sound I?d heard earlier was the dust collector?s upper felt bag coming off the dust collector. Reconstructing what happened found that the upper felt bag had in fact come off its support hook, sagged over and pinched itself shut, The lower felt bag, being half full and pretty clogged up it turned out, didn?t provide enough venting capacity for the amount of air the dust collector impeller was generating. The metal strap that?s supposed to keep the bags held in place on the their stand wasn?t quite as tightly installed as I?d thought. Pressure built up, band wasn?t tight enough - upper felt bag, partially full of dust, BLOWS OFF - the dust collector continuing to run - spewing very fine sawdust out the ajar Sound Proof Room door - and ALL over what had formerly been the Clean Room!

Assessing the damage and estimating the time to clean things up - I said to hell with it for today, walked back to what is now the Cleaner Room, closed the pocket door and got back to turning one of two finials for a double lidded turned lidded box.

I?ve got a forced air furnace blower air cleaner that my bench top planer is on. Tomorrow I?ll wheel it over to the Former Clean Room, turn it and the compressor on and blow all that dust back into the air - where the air cleaner should capture it - eventually.

Tomorrow is not going to be a fun day!

charlie b (now don't you feel better about your latest screw up?)

Reply to
charlie b

Actually, it's the best of all possible screw ups ... the dummy who caused it has to clean up the mess, and it doesn't require a credit card to fix!

My sympathies, nonetheless!

Reply to
Swingman

Just wondering,

1) Where does the dust collector exhaust to?

Does it a. go outdoors losing heated air and creating a vacuum in the shop b. empty into soundproof room, which is also air tight c. go back into shop area to balance system

2) Doesn't the pressure switch or on off switch on the compressor create a spark during normal operation and isn't that a bad thing in a dusty environment?

Not being critical but rather concerned for that awesome shop that I'm drooling over. Must be nice to actually walk around without having to rearrange things every time you want to move. Either my shop is too small or I have too many tools.

Bob C

Reply to
Bob C

Don't be too hard on yourself! To truly qualify for Idiot of the year the mishap needs to be easily identified and avoided. Besides major screwups usually involve loss of blood, digits or completely ruining the piece you are working on.

Sw> > turn it and the compressor on and blow all that dust back into the air -

Reply to
brandom11

Too early in the year. Someone, possibly from this group, will have topped that by 1 June, is my prediction.

Reply to
LRod

No biggie charlie.

Just think of it as karma for having a shop that is too clean and organized.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

You mean normally? Have spring loaded intake from the attic sprung to let air into the room but not out. Out the back is another spring loaded vent to allow air to only go out.

I live in the SF Bay Area so losing heat isn't a big deal - the two car garage door is open when I'm in the shop.

Well ordinarily - when the felt bags are actually on the DC - there's no dust in the Sound Proof Room. And when the compressor is on the door is cracked to accomodate the air hose.

Rule #1 - You can never have too many clamps Rule #2 - You can never have too much wood Rule #3 - You can never have too much space (re-arrange based on your current deficiency)

Should post a few photos of what things look like currently

- former Clean Room layout/assembly bench has youngest's big coffee table waiting to be completed then finished (been there 5 or more months) and his second LP collection cabinet (been there going on 16 months)

- Room of Noise and Dust has wood leaning up against benches a cabinets, tucked under the ends of the workbench, hiding behind the X31 combi and small piles of "stuff too good to throw away and will come in handy for some future project" precariously balanced on most horizontal surfaces above floor level.

Lee Michaels wrote:

Never been accused of having a clean shop - or house for that matter. If chaos is in any way similar to "organized" then OK.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Well.. I was checking tape measures against my framing square. The square was on the bench, long side running along edge of the bench, short side out into the bench on my left. Tape in my right hand, left hand resting on the side of the bench. Apparently the long edge was a wee bit closer to the edge than I thought and it slipped off, pivoted nicely on the short end and swung up and pinched my left hand against the bench hard enough to draw blood on two fingers.

I wasn't even doing any work. I just came down specifically to check the tape and that was going to be it, but the woodworking gods must be sated. Hopefully this rube goldberg of a blood-drawing will get me through the rest of the week.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Early morning on the 1st of January I was sanding some work in the lathe. It was a larger end-grain vessel held in the chuck, with the chuck jaws protruding. It's quite a nicely made Record chuck, with every sharp edge radiused to avoid injury.

Every sharp edge that is except the _back_ of the jaws, where they engage the chuck scroll.

Fortunately I managed to limit the bleeding to the sawdust pile. Handy, that.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

...or a surgeon.

-jtpr

Reply to
jtpr

I'm a bit disappointed after reading the title of the thread.. I expect a bigger screwup before the end of the year.. this one was a little disappointing LOL, only a big mess of sawdust.

Reply to
bf

Tools behave just like an ideal gas, expanding to fill whatever space is available.

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

"ONLY!?"

The former Clean Room is where I keep ALL my finishing stuff - a fireproof cabinet full of elixers and witches brews, stains, jars of shellac, alcohol (not the sippin' kind), shelves with steel wool, tack clothes, special brushes, gauze, linen rags and wool for french polishing - and despite the "fireproof" name, it is definitely not air tight. Then there are a hundred or more little plastic drawers - which are not air tight - full of hardware and fixture parts, nuts, bolts and screws. The nooks and crannies filled with STUFF are going to be a nightmare to clean up. Doesn't take much dust to screw up a nice finish. Definitely not a good way to start the new year. And it was an easily avoided problem - hence idiotic on my part - hence the subject line of my post.

On the other hand, I've still got two hands - AND all the digits I was issued at birth. In addition, I can still see and aren't a pint low - on blood, so I guess, all things considered, it wasn't so bad.

Gosh, I feel better about myself already!

Thanks!

charlie b uttering his new mantra - "I'm not an idiot. I'm not and idiot. . . ."

Reply to
charlie b

charlie b wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@accesscom.com:

Go find youself a big, honking compressor, and a blow gun, and open up the doors to the front of the building. Put on your hearing protectors, and blow it all away!

It needed it anyway.

At least that's what you can tell yourself while you spend the day cleaning it up.

Spring is only a couple of months away, right?

Patriarch, who has only one room to bury in wood remnants...

Reply to
Patriarch

. The nooks and crannies filled with STUFF are

Sorry man, I was just joking around with you. I don't have the luxury of a "clean room", so I have to do the full cleaning exercise everytime I do finishing, thus you aren't going to get too much sympathy from me. LOL. We still have plenty of time left in the year, so I want a more specatular mistake to read about (just kidding).

Reply to
bf

I would have except mine happened on Dec. 30.......I was showing my grown son how effective a wire wheel on a grinder was for removing rust from old tools.....The grinder was new (no home yet) and just bolted to piece of plywood that was quickly plopped on my bench for the short demo(no clamp used)....it has a 8inch slow speed water wheel and a regular speed 6inch wheel (replaced with the wire wheel).....Tis fairly heavy as small grinders go. While concentrating on the demo at hand the grinder/ plywood base decided to slide forward off the bench ....my wrist (luckily) kept it from hitting the floor by embedding the moving wire brush into my flesh......I can readily demonstrate that a moving wire brush with nearly the full weight of the machine behind it does a serious job at removing a serious swath of skin...tis better than a saw blade though as the blood instead of pouring simply leaks all over everywhere......Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

Geez, I'm feeling smarter just reading this!

Good luck with the cleanup Charlie and look on the bright side, you can still count to ten, so it couldn't have been that bad of a screw up!

jc

Snip of an Oooooooooops.

Reply to
Joe

Hmmm so should be buying Sara Lee stock (they make Endust)?

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem