Seeking Opinions: Oneida's Dust Gorilla

I have been considering the purchase of a high quality dust collection system and I am focused on a cyclone system. Oneida has released a new version known as the Dust Gorilla that I am curious about. It seems that this unit relies on lower quality components then other Oneida systems, such the lack of a Baldor motor, to keep the price point low. The CFM rating is the same as the 2 HP commercial version. The Db rating is about the same also, although I am not sure how loud 79 - 81 Db is relative to other sounds.

I currently have a portable Jet unit and it's okay, but a bit on the anemic side, so it does only the very basic in collection. I have about 500 SqFt of shop to cover and would like to hook up my TS, BS, Jointer, Planer, add a floor sweep and several 2 1/2" fittings, one over the workbench and one for the router table. I have not taken the time to calculate the CFM needed, but the 2 HP unit seems ideal - it may even be a bit more than I need since I don't have simultaneous tool operations.

Has anyone purchased one of these products and feels comfortable with a review?

news.east.cox.net

Scott McAuley

For acoustics it's not quite that simple. The ear maps increases in power to loudness in a non-linear manner across frequency. In general lower frequencies are perceived as louder than higher frequencies for a given increase in acoustic power.

Just put psychoacoustics into google and you should be able to find a plot of what's known as equal loudness contours.

ml

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

Call Oneida, and ask them if it will be suitable for your shop. I have one of the 3 hp systems, and it is a wonderful piece of machinery. Oneida is very helpful with duct layout. I have a 860 sq. ft shop, and with the 3 hp, I can run two machines at once. I would expect the 2 hp to be plenty for your shop. Do get one of the remote switches, and a back up remote just in case yours gets lost in the shavings like mine did. I also wondered if I would have to refilter the air before venting it back into the shop. When I asked them about it I could tell that they were insulted. They told me that their systems didn't leak ANY dust. After 2 years, I agree with them. robo hippy

Reply to
reedgray

I have the 5hp version and it is very quiet. I did buy the muffler for it. The dust collector sets in the corner of my shop and one can easilly carry on a normal conversation while standing next to it. About the only tool that has some dust escape is by belt/disk sander. I blaim that on tool design though. I hava also found that a dust collector increases the noise from my planer. It must have something to do with the air running past the rotating knives. It sounds like a helicopter while the planer is running and the air is on. Ear muffs are required while running this tool. Shut off the air supply and the sound drops dramatically.

Onidea also offers a duct design service. I had to go over their plans carefully and had several revisions done before it was right. It is easy to spend more on duct work than the dust collector itself. I have to admit that a clean shop is a lot more comfortable to work in.

I would highly recommend Onidea. Very good product and delivers as advertised.

Reply to
DWalker

Thanks Dennis.

BTW, what made you select the 5HP model? Is this a private shop or a commercial enterprise? I am in a basement that has a 7' ceilings. The space that I am in is wonderful any ductwork must accomodate existing HVAC ductwork, PCV sewer pipe and LP gas pipe. The optimal place for the cyclone is suboptimal for the ducting and vice versa. Since I am in the basement and live in New England, I can't really place the unit outside. I really can't gripe because the space I have is great and my wonderful wife is tolerant of the small amount of dust on her stuff (parenthetically, do women have a gene that compels them to purchase more and more Christmas decorations?)

Since I only operate a single machine at a time, the 2 HP has enough CFM and SP to suit me.

I like a clean shop and I'd like to keep the dust down on items stored in the unfinished side of the basement where the shop is located. I have a friend that only does handwork using traditional techniques (he even has a lathe that you operate by you foot, like the older sewing machines). He refuses to clean up the shop so he has years old layers of dust and shavings. Since his shop is a converted old carding mill and is open to the air most times, I guess the fire hazard is small.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

Reply to
news.east.cox.net

I have my shop in a large old barn. Part of my ceilings are 12' and my longest run was over 40'. I was boarder line 3hp, so I went with a 5hp. My wife also works along with me, so I wanted enough capacity for two outlets open at a time. I don't regret the extra air.

I have a private shop for now, but would like to go semi-commercial some day. I have a lot of DIY things going on right now.

Dennis

Reply to
DWalker

Thanks again Dennis. Best of luck going commercial.

I'd like to do the same thing at some point, but for the next mamny years, I simply need to get experience.

Reply to
news.east.cox.net