Can you thin Minwax Polyurethane?

Yes.

I use their Helmsman Spar Urethane and have had good results with it.

Volitile Organic Compounds. This is the stuff that evaporates and may pollute the air.

Reply to
RE Quick Transit

I am assuming you have oil based polyurethane and not Minwax's water based Polycrylic. You would have been alright if you simply removed the thin film you found on the top of the liquid. The remaining solution is acceptable but you should probably strain it. The film that you found will not dissolve in mineral spirits. Once polyurethane has cured, it will not redissolve in mineral spirits. You can thin oil based polyurethane as much as you like. Thin it 20% and it helps to eliminate bubbles and it gives the wet film more of a chance to level. Thin it 50% and you have a wiping polyurethane. Thin it more and it will start to look like an oil finish in that you will have a hard time seeing a film. You can shake the can as much as you like. As stated above, thin the poly about 20% and tip off the surface of the wet film after you are done brushing.

Good Luck.

"Geroge Barns" wrote in message news:K2igd.72$ snipped-for-privacy@fe61.usenetserver.com...

Reply to
Baron

It basically goes on like my home brew but is better. And I like the fact I don't have to mess around mixing it. Another plus is the shelf life is better than my home brew. It is very easy to use and rubs out excellent. It is just a great product imho. Buy a quart and try it. You won't be dissapointed. It comes in Gloss, Original (sheen is equivalant to Semigloss), and Satin. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

Missed the start of this thread...

Why not just use Minwax wiping polyurethane? You don't get the quick (thick) build that you get with the regular Minwax poly--which may or may not be an advantage--and it does wipe on nicely.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I was wondering the same thing as I read throught these. Is he thinning to restore older product, wanting to spray or what? We have a lot of answers but I don't fully understand the question.

Reply to
RonB

Thanks, SH, I will.

Reply to
Gary DeWitt

replying to bridger, lwmlnew wrote: Minwax has no directions on the can

Reply to
lwmlnew

replying to bridger, lwmlnew wrote: minwax doesn't have directions printed on the can

Reply to
lwmlnew