can I put my table saw on blocks?

I have a big, old, heavy 12" Minimax table saw and a small small shop. If I could raise my saw about 3 inches I could slide my jointer, welder and shop vac under the side table. Is there any reason why I shouldn't build a heavy platform out of 4x4s and slide it under there?

any constructive coments would be apreciated.

russ

Reply to
russ

If you think about the concept of a mobile base, the exact same thing is happening. I put one under my PM66 and it kind of altered my finely crafted plan to have my bench, chop saw & table saw at the same height. The down side would be a slight loss in reach, but I doubt it would be significant. I would bet running the saw would feel different. However, none of us are the same size or shape, so there's no definate universal "truth". Other than a bit of work, you've got nothing to lose.

Then again, the shop space you save, you will fill.

Reply to
John Hofstad-Parkhill

The only concern I see is to be very sure your saw is securely attached to the "blocks". You sure don't want this thing falling over at the wrong time. I have my old crapsman about 3" higher too but I was lucky enough to come up with some old IBM "levelling pads" that they used on 360-370 mainframes. They give me a very secure "grab" on the floor so nothing is moving around when I use the saw.

Reply to
Greg

I'm 6'4" & hava Unisaw and didnt like the table height from day 1. After about a week, I made a base from 2 X 6 on edge which runs out the full width of the 50" side extension. I installed a BORG 30" x 24" 2 drawer/1 door 'knockdown' cabinet I had laying around underneath and it makes a great place to store saw accs like dado and other spare blades. The height is good now too, BTW.

Rudy

Reply to
Dave W