Can I attach these legs to plywood?

I want to make a computer desk, quick n easy. I'm not really a woodworker, though I'd like to be. :)

I have some table legs like these

BANQUET CARD DISPLAY TABLE LEGS.

I'm wanting something like this, but not particle board.

I'm wondering if I can buy a piece of plywood & attach these legs to the plywood? The legs are designed to be screwed into the wood, will this work with plywood? Or do I need a completely different plan?

I hate the computer desks I see in the stores, mostly particle board in my price range. As the prices go up, I'm still disappointed in the designs, so spending more money doesn't seem to be the answer. I don't have the skills or tools or time to make something really nice, so I just want something quick & simple & sturdy.

Reply to
Alli

FOLDING BANQUET CARD DISPLAY TABLE LEGS.

It should work. Over time, the plywood may sag. You want to run a strip or two on the underside in a vertical position. Sort of like building a bridge or a beam it will add lots of stiffness. You can even cut the strips from the plywood if you are not using the full width.

The edges can also be covered with an iron on edging to make it look finished. A nice piece of 3/4" plywood will cost from $45 for the more common grades like birch, to $100 for cherry and other nicer grades. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

go for it

Reply to
Minorite

No problem. Use 3/4" long screws in a piece of 3/4" plywood.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Then cheat. Two drawer file cabinets are the right height and are available at barewood furniture places and your local lumber provider can cut the plywood to fit the top 24 inches by 72 is a big desk with storage. Some Screws from the cabinet into the plywood to hold it in place (not really needed, Double backed tape works just as well) Finish it your way. One all wood computer desk

Tom

Alli wrote:

Reply to
tom

Something else to consider, take 2 two drawer file cabinets and an old door. I know it sounds silly, but it works. Neighbor found a solid door, and he is using it for his sons "desk" and that boy abuses everything. He has had it for a few years now good to go

> FOLDING BANQUET CARD DISPLAY TABLE LEGS.

Reply to
Clif