Calibrating rules

I'm sure, I'm like everyone else. I have several tapes, flat rulers, rulers on your tablesaw and probably other measuring tapes on other equipment (panel saw, etc) elsewhere.

In building projects, what do you USE as the standard for that project? Your tablesaw? A tape?

I know the rule (no pun intended) of using just ONE tape throughout a project, but do you measure all the cuts (including the tablesaw) off that tape? What about thicknesses?

Curious as to how you solve this.

MJ

Reply to
mjmwallace

The Unifence on my table saw can be calibrated. I check it now and then to be sure it hasn't "drifted". I use the same tape for a project. I have several Lufkin 12' tapes and they

*seem* to be consistent. I use "story sticks" for multiple pieces where I need dadoes. For measuring thicknesses (especially after running a piece thru the jointer) I use:

had a similar caliper from Sears that I used for years until I saw the above one.

Max

Reply to
Max

I use the same tape, the same 6" rule, the same 24" rule all the time, as well as the fence on the tablesaw. Never calibrated them and if the vary by .000001, I'm never going to see it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have a small shop with very little make-up room, so I make small projects, mostly (outside of a boat or two).

I have a Vega fence system with a micro-adjust knob on my 1983 vintage Craftsman TS (for both the circular saw and attached router table). I've calibrated it perfectly, and have learned to adjust it perfectly. BUT, I still check with a Starret rule at each fence setting, and do scrap cuts and measure on crtitical cuts epsecially on expen$ive wood. The fence system is awesome.

I use mostly a 4" Starret combo square or various Inca Rules to mark lines for hand tools. I use my Bridge City 3" tri square for depth adjustment on my TS and router table (I LIKE this tool, buy one).

For length measurements, I have ONE 12' tape measure (off-brand, from HD). I cut slightly long initially and then cut to final length.

For thickness I use my Starret combo square, set to the thickness I want, then "feel" more than eyeball the measurement by sliding it along the board with a finger just toeuching it. Works for me.

So, the short answer is I use many measuring tools for small projects, and it seems to work for me.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

I have a several tapes of the same mfr & model.

Using my 12" machinist's rule, I tweak each tape's hook so that they all match the machinist rule.

I don't have a "real" table saw anymore so I tend to use my tapes as the standard.

For thickness, I use my tapes, machinist's rule / square or if I want to be really nutty; 6" dial caliper

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

I'm partly in the same camp as many of the rest.

I have one ProCarpenter flat tape that's my go-to.

Occasionally, I'll compare it to my Starrett square, but ...

*occasionally*.

That said, I'm probably well on my way to just being a story stick guy. That may not mean the END of the tape, truly, but ... it may make it a far less necessary item.

For MY use -- all building for personal consumption/gifts, so far -- consistency is MUCH more important than "accuracy."

As always ... YMMV ;-)

Reply to
Neil Brooks