Two wins for the local independent

Needed one of those sandpaper pencil sharpeners. Easy enough to make but they're under a buck, or were last time I needed one, so why bother. None of the office supply places had them, or the arts and crafts places (Michaels actually has a pretty good stock of drafting equipment). Blick did but that's a 70 mile drive and the bike is out of commission. Could find them online but the shipping is ludicrous. Was in Rockville with a few minutes to spare so checked Crystal Blueprint. Had them for 80 cents a pop.

Needed a couple of window screen hooks--all the usual suspects had them for aluminum frame screens but not for wood frame. Was on the way to Parkerville for some boards and passed by Star Hardware in Ellington--figured I'd give them a try. They had them.

While I was there though I noticed that they had a very nice stock of small hinges and latches and the like, reasonably priced, including some that I'd had to order from Lee Valley a few years back.

Anyway, if you're in the Hartford area those are a couple of places worth looking for "old school" oddments.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'm nowhere near there, but I remember the same "old school" feeling at Roscoe Hardware in Sun Vally, California, where I grew up.

My Dad shopped there, I did too. I still have a receipt from them for

2 corks I bought to plug the drain-holes in the sponsons of the Class-C Racing Hydroplane Dad and I built.

=Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx
[snip]

I have a local hardware store that has most everything, including narrow aisles with wooden bins of nuts and bolts and some dusty cardboard boxes of items originally produced 30+ years ago. But I can buy just as many as I need of 10-32 bolts and nuts - no borg plastic bags here ;-) And I can talk with someone who knows a great deal about alternate ways of doing things.

I still need to explore the back 4 aisles (probably with a good flashlight) to see what treasures may be hidden there...

John

Reply to
news

You suck! :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

No kidding.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Here in Northeast Mass we have an industrial supply place which is 4 floors of everything you could use. If you go in and ask for a bolt that is 4 inches long with the bottom half 1/2 inch coarse and the top half 7/16 fine, they would reply: "You need that in stainless, galvanized, or brass."

I shop at the big places less and less these days

Larry

Reply to
Larry C