Building a storage shed

Our community has no requirements for footers for storage sheds. Having said that, what is a good depth of footer for a shed that will be 8x12? The shed will be completely made of lumber.

Reply to
Geo

What part of the country (world) will it be located in?

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

In places with no shaking or wind concerns I have seen them simply bury concrete blocks below the sod line to the clean dirt and build on them. (Southern Md) There are barns and sheds that are 100 years old and built like this. Once you hit that bank run gravel it is like concrete tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

It depends where you live and what floor you want. Most sheds do not have a foundation at all. They, like the one I built, have a wood floor, set on 2 - 2"x 6" PT beams. They set on a concrete slab that is part of a little used driveway.

If I could not set it on concrete, I would lay 5" thick -1" crushed rock base.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

Southwest Ohio

Reply to
Geo

The shed I built (in SW Ohio) sits on treated 4x4's. It's 14 x 14.

This gives me the option of having it easily moved if I ever need to, and it's not considered a permanant structure so I didn't need to worry about permits/code.

Reply to
Locutus

The best book anybody can buy, costs about 20 bucks or so, or get at the library is "Low Cost Pole Building Construction". I'm on my second copy as I wore out the first one. You will learn more about building everything from sheds to barns to small houses that you ever imagined.

Reply to
J.C.

PS: it even has plans for some sheds, barns and houses and I just looked, my new copy was $14.95 from Amazon.

Reply to
J.C.

6-12" below the frost line. Otherwise you will need to level it every spring.

Bob McConnell N2SPP

Reply to
Bob McConnell

If you build this shed as a skid mounted device resting on some simple concrete blocks at midpoints and corners, you will save money on taxes as well as not having to meet local building codes since it can't be considered a permanent structure.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett