Storage shed questions

This is running the risk of being off topic, but since it may involve some woodworking and the shop, I figure it's fair game.

I have not one, not two, but ten bicycles in my garage/shop. In addition, I have a lawn mower, weed wacker, gas cans, propane tanks, snow-related doo-dads, and a lot of other crud I'd like to get out of there to free up more shop space and keep the little ones from habitually parking their bicycles in exactly the worst locations every time.

The obvious solution is a back yard storage shed. The ideal arrangement would be something extremely large, but there are a number of caveats.

We're renting our house at the moment. For a variety of reasons, we really like the current arrangement of not owning the house and would like to stay there for years to come. We have zero faith in our landlord's ability to continue to make mortgage payments though. And we know he wants us to buy the house a year from now at a ridiculous price. So there's a good chance that we'll have to move in a year.

Money isn't really a problem. If we knew we would be staying there for the next five years or more, I would have no problem investing $5k in an out building. We don't really need a huge building that $5k would get, but would use the space if we had it. For now, a small 4x8 shed would probably be adequate.

So I need to be able to take it with me when/if we move. This means that I would need to be able to get the shed onto, say, a 6x12 open air uhaul trailer without too much trouble. Or, I would need to be able to disassemble it into pieces I can throw on a trailer.

The really easy arrangement would be to use an actual trailer and just park it out there. But that's way too trailer-park for the neighborhood. And the association says that the out building needs to be painted to match the house.

So can anyone suggest a house-looking trailer with removable tongue and wheels that can be set up in the back yard to be a storage shed, painted to match the house...

or

Can anyone suggest a disassemble-able metal/vinyl shed that I can paint to match the house...

or

Can anyone suggest a wood building, or maybe plans for a building, with walls that bolt together with lag bolts so I can knock it down and throw the walls on a uhaul trailer...

or

I know some of those playground set companies will move your playground set when you move. Maybe someone offers the same thing for a larger storage shed?

or

some other creative solution.

I thought about buying a flat bed trailer, then building a building on it to look like a small house, then removing the wheels and installing some sort of skirt around it. That's a big project though. And since I currently have more money than time, I'd rather just buy something. oh, I'm in the chicago area if that matters.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Given your circumstances, you may want to consider something I did for a couple hundred bucks.

Since I couldn't move the big stuff out, I relegated a bunch of smaller stuff and made more room for the big, to one of those Rubbermaid type, outdoor bins they sell at Sam's ... this thing is BIG, approximately 42 cu feet.

I built a platform for it and the "stuff" stays high and dry and out of sight behind the shop. A good place to store supplies, jigs, things you trip over and don't use often, and even wood up to 7' in length.

I _had_ to do something ... but that's OK, cuz there's a new shop/garage in my not too distant future.

Reply to
Swingman

"brianlanning" wrote

Years ago, I did some research for a group who wanted to set up some espresso stands. The did exactly what you described above. The even had a skirt that they took on and off each day to make it look less "trailer". It wasn't cheap though. You might ry to find something like this though.

I always like the vinyl storage sheds from rubbermaid. Solid, well built and can be broken down. doesn't sound like it waould get by the neighborhood "enforcers" though.

Another thing I have seen is to buy one of those aluminum containers that are used on container ships. I have seen complete shops set up in these things. And you can always hire a truck to move it anywhere. Again, that would probably violate the PC police standards.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

In the same spot?

Reply to
Leon

There are storage rental units available world-wide.

You said money is no object.

Reply to
Guess who

I had it to do over again, this is what I'd be getting. You can even get a window for it. I think it comes in a larger size as well for around $1,000. We have a Rubbermaid shed now and it is OK but a little tight on space.

J.

Reply to
Jeepnstein

> If I had it to do over again, this is what I'd be getting. You can

A team of 4 Lowe's employees? :~)

Reply to
Leon

> If I had it to do over again, this is what I'd be getting. You can

Be prepared and buy some extra cordless driver batteries if you're getting one of these. A friend of mine bought one of these vinyl sheds and it must have had 1 million screws in it's assembahly.

Cheers! Duke

Reply to
Dukes909

Whatever you build will most likely not be practical for moving. You can buy a Rubbermaid plastic storage shed to store a few items. Another idea is to build a doghouse with a hinged roof to store gasoline, paint, and other flammable solvents away from the house--you can sell the doghouse when it comes time to move. As with most families whatever additional storage you get, that will fill up and you'll be back in the same situation, so it's time to have a garage sale and get rid of those items that have not been used in 12 months to free up space and get some extra cash.

Reply to
Phisherman

Brian:

I have one these sheds:

it all comes apart and loaded on a pallet at my homecenter (not Lowes or HD or Menards, so look around).

I have a small 4x8 and there are larger sizes. Simple to put up, simple to take down.

Good luck!

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

I get the impression that Brian needs access to this stuff on site. I'm sure the unnamed burb in question will have no problems with a big container from PODS sitting in the yard indefinitely.

todd

Reply to
todd

Yep ... the building is getting old and needs to be replaced. I didn't do it when I built this house as leaving it "as is" allowed me more porch area due to the city 'framed building area' limitations, and also let me do some of the work close to the construction site.

At the moment it is a "the cobbler's kid has no shoes" situation ...I just need to find the time to turn in a set of plans and get the re-engineering done. I'll use a garage/foundation plan from one of our existing homes, and make it as big as I can get away with ... which won't be much bigger, but it will be higher, with perhaps second floor storage, and I need to keep it a "garage" for resale value/code restrictions.

Just came in to get a cup of coffee, now back to the multitudinous face frames (another good reason why I don't want my personal shop "off premises"). ... they're almost done, you'll be glad to hear.

In any event, those big rubbermaid storage bins are handy!

Reply to
Swingman

I'd make something similar out of 4x8 or 6x8 subpanels that I could bolt together through the studs, or remove the bolts and put on my snowmobile trailer to move to a different place. Shiplap ought to do for the water exclusion, floor joists on treated skids so the assessor wouldn't call it an "outbuilding."

Reply to
George

Taking your desires into account, if I was in your situation, I think I'd go with one of the metal/vinyl sheds. I think a framed structure would be a pain to deal with trying to disassemble. One other thing to keep in mind is any municipal code relating to size. Here in my Chicago burb, we are limited to 100 sq ft for a structure before you have to pull a permit, which them means a concrete foundation, etc, etc. If you go over 100 sq ft here, then you're basically buiding a garage as far as the city is concerned.

todd

Reply to
todd

Are you in a safe enough area to just have a big bike rack outside?

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

I hear you. The second story idea sounds pretty good if you can squeak it in between the ever changing building codes. :~) Perhaps storage and smaller and lighter weight tools up stairs if you can get away with a full 2 story.

There is a lot to be said for having the shop on premises. Short drive to work and less over head. ;~)

I ended up building a small 10 x12 storage building in my back yard. I have about as much room back there as you, maybe. I spent a small fortune on it so that it would have the same appearance of the house. I just finished with it this fall and have quite a bit of room for wood storage and those items that clutter up the garage.

Reply to
Leon

It just so happens that next week, Norm will be building an outdoor storage shed. (at least that's what he said at the end of Saturday's episode in my area.)

Gary in Virginia

Reply to
Gary in Virginia

I've already seen it. That's what got me going.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Then just go to BJ's or Sam's Club or some such place and get one of their pre-built sheds delivered. The Cedar shed on a pallet that someone else mentioned is a nicer looking alternative, but if wheeling something in and putting a skirt around it is too much trouble for you now then you'll probably never go through the trouble of disassembling the nice looking cedar shed later. Therefore since you must buy something then buy something that you won't be sorry to leave behind.

J.

brianlann> I currently have more money than time, I'd rather just buy something.

Reply to
John

When I was a kid, my dad had an ice fishing shack that he made in a weekend out of 1/2" plywood. Rather than making it as a permenent structure that would take up space year-round, he screwed 2" x 2" studs around the perimeter of each sheet of ply on the inside, and 1"x stock around the outside perimeter of each sheet to look like trim. Then, the whole deal was nailed together with a few duplex nails, while we drilled holes through the studs for carriage bolts to hold the thing together. The base was sort of like a pallet with skis on either side and a piece of plywood with a trapdoor for a floor- the walls attached to it with the same carriage bolts and wing nuts used in the whole thing. The roof was the same as the walls, with a little slant to it to let the snow slide off and some shingles (or maybe plastic, I forget which). Anyhow, the thing would disassemble pretty easily and the peices fit right on top of the base for transport out to the lake, or from one lake to another. It held up to some fairly ferocious winds and rough weather conditions, and he's still got the thing- though it is now being used as a shed in the backyard.

Last fall, we used a similar method for building a foundation form at work (with stouter lumber and cross bracing), and it worked well for that also. We took the form peices back to the shop after the pour, and they're still good for at least a couple more uses.

After everything is said and done- it's a shed. I'd lay some pallets on the yard (or set a couple of posts and leave the ground bare), put some plywood or hardboard over them, and build on that platform with standard sized sheets of plywood or chipboard with a timber frame around the perimeter of each sheet to bolt the sucker together. It's quick and easy, can be painted however you like, as big as you want it to be (within reasonable limits- I wouldn't make it bigger than 8' x

16', myself) and can be partially disassembled for moving, or totally disassembled to use the wood for something else later. Obviously, it's not the preferred method for building a nice little permenent shed, but it'd work nicely for a temporary outbuilding, and can be done for under $500 in a day or two.
Reply to
jessek