buckeye tree

Has anyone ever used any wood from the buckeye tree. I might be able to get ahold of some in the near future. I really don't know much about them other than the nuts are poison. Any help would be appreciated. Jim

Reply to
Jim Heater

The wood is soft and light and some people use it for carving. It also tends to form interesting burls. My mantle is made of buckeye because it was the cheapest wood I could find in a large thick slab when the need came up. Since it was to be painted the boring nature of the wood wasn't of concern.

Reply to
John McGaw

Trivia:

And if you put the nuts in a fire they tend to explode.

Reply to
Mark

Neat!!

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

I just read something about the Ohio Buckeye (the one with the poison nuts) on one of those e-zines that I get by email. Seems it was once known as dead man's wood as it was often used for caskets. The story is at the following URL. watch the wordwrap.

Hall

Reply to
David Hall

The burls anice for turning, the crotchwood should be also. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave