bought a house, now to work on setting up a shop

I have a 2 car garage that will have room for some woodworking tools, and would like some projects to help a former apartment dweller get a shop going. I've already built me a sturdy workbench and would like to get some simple projects to help flesh out the shop.

Current tools skillsaw miter box saw drill drill press

9" band saw hand router (with el-cheapo router table) arc welder. 4" vise misc hand tools
Reply to
Tater

| I have a 2 car garage that will have room for some woodworking | tools, and would like some projects to help a former apartment | dweller get a shop going. I've already built me a sturdy workbench | and would like to get some simple projects to help flesh out the | shop.

I have a few projects to choose from at the link below.

Congratulations on your new home!

Morris Dovey

Yeah, congrats.

Add alt.home.repair to your list of newsgroups. There's a lot of good info there too.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

If you are married the FIRST thing you need to do is FILL the garage with clutter and junk similar to the way a dog marks his territory then make a plan.

Check out the electric to see if you have enough outlets and the correct amperage. Your drill press and band saw may need more juice than the garage door opener.

Cabinets, cabinets, cabinets. Check out craigslist.com or watch the curb for cabinets. Or buy that tablesaw you've been wanting and build your own.

Lights - I bought some cheap 4' flourescent lights and regret it, they hum like crazy and the colder it gets the noisier they get.

Build a decent router table and fence this is a good plan:

one of these tools to help layout your shop:
?categoryid=/templatedata/bhg/category/data/arrangearoomtest.xml

Reply to
RayV

Oh, you have room for a lot more than that in there.

I too have a 2 car garage that houses 1 car at night, 1, 7' long TS, OSS, garbage container, Stationary 15" Planer, dust collector, router table, drill press, 2 roll around tool chests, water heater, washer and dryer, filing cabinet, lather, jointer, mobile work bench, compressor, band saw, scrap wood storage, and plenty of other hand tools in cabinets. Swingman thinks that I have a lot of room when the car is not in the garage.

The key is to place all stationary tools and benches on mobile bases. It takes me about 5 minutes to clean up, put all the equipment away and bring the car in for the night.

Reply to
Leon

Most of us start with projects directly related to the shop... storage cabinets, shelving, router table/tops, tool racks/holders, etc..

As you do projects you'll also find easier ways to do things and start building a jig or three...

Keep an eye out here on the wRECk for JOAT's postings... he finds tons of free plans and ideas and posts the links...

Mac

mac davis

I'm building a web site and have been collecting some free plans. Check the out at muckleshed.com. Also, please tell me what I can do to make my site better, or if there are any plans you need...

Barry