Bosch compound miter saw adjustment.....

Just got my 5412L compound miter saw, and was trying to go thru the adjustment portion of the manual.

I put the combo square up against the blade and the table as per the manuals instructions. The manual goes on to say "if the square does not completely contact the blade, and adjustment must be made". My issue is that the square contacts the blade at the bottom edge of the blade, and nearest the arbor. In between, I see a little light peaking thru.

Is this normal? Its a 12" saw, I was sorta thinking it might just be because the blade is weaker in the middle and slightly bowed. I made a couple test cuts and they seemed OK, but I dont have a really good protractor to verify.

Thanks in advance!

-Chris

Reply to
charry

Check the test cuts with a good square. That's the proof of the pudding! It seems a little odd that the saw blade is thinner in the middle. Checking the square across the blade on the outside perimeter/s of the blade would also work Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

I'm not sure where your'e putting the edge of the square. Is it possible there's some debris on the flat where the blade washer and nut are, that might be deforming the blade, or that the blade *might* be deformed at all? I think I'd take it off and check it on a flat surface to make sure it's not deformed.

Then I think I'd check the cut by making a test cut on something as tall as the saw could cut, then flip one side and see if there was any light showing. On a perfectly straight up-and-down cut, the pieces should fit together perfectly even when one piece is flipped upside down.

Reply to
else24

Im following the Bosch procedure in their manual, and its not very clear. For instance, they say to lock the sliders in the "back" position, but the figure they refer to for squaring up to the blade shows them in the "forward" position.

There is no debris in the middle of the blade, I made sure of that. I havent tried removing the blade to see if its deformed. I suppose thats possible, but Id find it odd. Then again, the fact that my square touches at each end of the square but not in between the ends is odd as well. I admit I dont have the highest quality square, but it doesnt seem to be off (if I place it on the table, assuming the table is flat, I dont see any spots where light gets thru between the table and square).

Id have to go dig up a large piece of material. 12" saw has a pretty decent max capacity. I suppose I can try a piece of 4x4 as a decent test.

-Chris

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
charry

It's the rare blade that is truly flat. With the pretension that is put on a blade, it may well not be strait until at operating rpm. The instructions are written for Joe carpenter, not Joe cabinet maker. Test cuts are the only way to be sure. It just makes sense to remove all the variables from the mechanism when setting up. This means rails all the way back and locked.

Reply to
CW

I agree that the correct thing to do is push the rails back, thats why the illustration they refer to in the manual makes no sense to me, with the rails all the way forward.

Ill pick up a better combo square and maybe a good protractor to make sure the cuts are straight.

-Chris

CW wrote:

Reply to
charry