Blade slipping

I own a Jet 10" contractor saw. I have had it for 6 years and never had a problem until now. When changing a blade, the blade will slip between the stabilizers. The arbor, pulleys and belt turn while the blade doesn't move. Obviously I cant get the nut loosened to remove the blade. I have used a slip jaw pliers to hold the inside satbilizer, but it is awkward and time consuming, not to mention the damage that is occurring to the stabilizer.

This just started happening within the last few months and has gotten progressively worse. Any ideas what is causing the blade to slip when loosening the arbor nut and how to stop it??

Reply to
Fish

Arbor and nut need cleaning or threads need to be restored.

Reply to
ks

What ks said - you need to chase the threads on the nut and the arbor spindle; lotsa luck finding left-hand metric taps and dies. Might be easier to order a new nut from JET and dress the arbor threads with a thread file. Then put a little never-seize on it.

Be sure you haven't been over-tightening the nut - just snug 'er down, that's all. It's real easy to over-torque a nut or bolt with never-seize on it - it's a thread lubricant.

-- Timothy Juvenal

Hambone Slim