Best wood choice for untreated siding?

no, like when it splashes on the siding below an eave on the north side of the house. like i said, do cedar shake roofs turn black?

Reply to
marson

As long as they never own a ball - of any kind - that can be hit onto the board with sufficient force...

Damn, Swing, are you only building in Adult Communities these days?

I don't know how many cementitious boards (glommed up with asbestos in those days) that I have replaced because they have broken at the edges under force.

Are the new products that much better?

(ain't a challenge - just a question)

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Hey Tom ... IMO, Yes. I've not had a single installed Hardiplank siding break on at least a half a dozen houses where it's been installed thus far, including mine.

It simply has not been a problem, and even more remarkable since most of those were built using vent skin construction (you guys may call it "rain skin" up there) where you would expect it to be a problem, versus applying siding directly to the sheathing. (I don't allow the cornice crews to blind nail in this application, use double nailed, 4" wide, furring strips for added support with the extra surface area, and have the painters putty fill the nail holes).

I also use the Hardi products almost exclusively in interior areas where we used to use greenboard ... behind tubs/showers, back splashes, and anywhere tile or stone is laid.

Peace of mind for the builder, and a long lasting, virtually maintenance and mold and mildew free exterior/interior for the owner.

I was drug kicking and screaming to the technology, but have been become an evangelical convert. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Shazzam!

I may have to look into some of this stuff for my own homestead.

Thanks.

BTW

Ain't you s'posed to be fondling the Fretless tonight?

How come you got Friday off?

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

I used untreated cedar shingles 30 years ago on a house that turned brown to gray on different sided of house depending on sun, shade, wind drying the rain water.I left that house10 years ago. My new house house i built 20 years ago I dipped the shingles in bleaching oil and never did anything since. I have more uniform color change now. My trim I used cheap pine and claded with white metal. I have a maintance free exterior. People that said cedar will turn black are proably mistaking cedar clapbords which will look horrible. Find some books on CAPE COD a large island off Massachusetts and you will see the typical CAPE with weathered cedar shingles.

Reply to
henry

I was a bit concerned about the broken edge problem too but found that the Hardiplank siding I installed on my house is very tough stuff. The trim boards can be a problem if not properly (read "evenly") backed up between nails--I broke two corner boards through inattention. I also found that you should not install 10' lengths of perf soffits by yourself (even with cleats) as it doesn't have the structural integrity to be unsupported--broke two of those too. I must say that my biggest single problem was doing the job by myself. Having a helper would have made the whole job much easier!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

That would have been last night ... we played for a Mensa conference. Funny, I feel much smarter, and richer, this morning.

Musician's union rule on three day weekends ... you can only work three of the days and two of the nights. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

What part of the world ???

My home is covered in vertical cedar siding that has been on there for 19 years.

Channel Rustic was the "hot" siding back then but it has long since been replaced by Hardi Plank because of maintenance and cost. That same siding today is running just a tad over $2.00 LF and almost impossible to find in stock.

Our relative humidity is "around" 85% year round. Mold and mildew is our constant friend.

Perhaps you leave in Sunny California and maybe Arizona, but not the sunny/wet south.

Teamcasa wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

"Pat Barber"

I do. Unlike you in Oceanside, I live nestled to the base of the San Gabriel Mountains, near Pasadena, CA. In the San Gabriel Valley, there are hundreds of Craftsman style homes with cedar shake roofs and siding. I did, recently have to put a new roof on that met the current fire code. This area has low humidity especially during the Santa Ana wind conditions.

Dave

Teamcasa