Wood for outdoor signs???

How about "Trex" that's solid core? Not sure which brands, but they sure would never rot away like oak. I think Trex is not solid. I used some composite decking material that's solid all the way through. It routs like a dream.

Or redwood. Or Duraply.

R> Any suggestion for what to use for wooden signs with names and the like

Reply to
David

Any suggestion for what to use for wooden signs with names and the like routed into them?

I use ROak for most of my indoor projects, any thoughts on how it would hold up outside?

I have a decent source of ROak shorts for $2 - $2.50 bf, S3S.

I don't want to paint them, I'd prefer to stain and top coat if necessary? What finishes & topcaots would be recommended, deck stains?

I'm also considering Ipe if I can find a decent source of 2' - 3' shorts,

6 - 10" wide.

ThankX again all,

Ron

Reply to
Ron

I did my outdoor sign with cedar rubbed down with several coats of BLO. So far, it has held up nicely through a western Pennsylvania winter.

____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

You might consider white oak. It apparently has good weathering qualities (unlike the red oak you are considering). Teak would also work well.

R> Any suggestion for what to use for wooden signs with names and the like

necessary?

Reply to
Doug

Not worth a darn. White oak is a different story, though.

Other naturally rot-resistant woods include cedar, cypress, teak, ipe, redwood, and black locust. Ipe is probably about as close as you'll get to a wood that's rot-PROOF.

Routing ipe or black locust could be a bit of a challenge... :-), teak won't be exactly a walk in the park, and redwood makes one hell of a mess.

I think I'd go for cypress or white oak, myself.

Doug Miller

My father uses osage orange (or hedge, as he calls it) for just this purpose. He uses some sort of spar varnish over it (I think).

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

White oak will grey out on you after a year or so.

Reply to
Rob V

If you need to make a lot of signs...

toller

Used to be in the sign business, and we used a lot of redwood, for routed as well as sandblasted signs (you mask off your design and sandblast away 1/4 to 1/2" of the background, works best with a border left around the edge).

Reply to
gpdewitt

Dang. Beat me to it. Farmers here in the midwest used it for fence posts, and one guy said that one hedge apple post will wear out two holes. Also, that stuff is haaaaard. Cutting with a chainsaw will throw sparks. I've done it. I currently have all of my contacts in the arborist business on the lookout for trees.

-Phil Crow

Reply to
phildcrowNOSPAM

My dad gets a regular supply of what he needs to make signs down in southern IL. Mind you, he's not looking for trees that can be turned into dimensional lumber, but something 12-15" around is fine for his sign-making. By the way, where is "here in the midwest" for you, Phil. I'm originally from central IL, but now live in the Chicago area.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree