Best way to enlarge cast iron hole in clamp?

Let me understand this: you cut a "clearance slot" down the length of the hole with a (cutter?) torch? Or just heated it up (with a regular welding tip) then cut it with another tool ("corrective force")? Then cleaned up that slot by putting brazing metal in it?

Another scenario I'd imagined was you heating up the *clampscrew* on one side and bending it until it was directionally functional.

Help me out here, I'm having a hard time imagining what you describe.

Thanks, H

Reply to
Hylourgos

Ok, On mine, there was a misalignment between the threaded portion(fixed to the pipe) and the slip on section that applies the pressure to the object being squeezed. I put a slice (not a through cut) in the web section between the threaded boss for the pipe and the threaded section of the clamping screw. That allowed me to align the hole in the clamping section and the hole in the fixed threaded section after a bit of heating to the web of the fixed section. It wasn't much of an angle change to the cheap clamps I was massaging. I might have been able to do the same modification without the cut. The cut made the whole thing a bit easier . The slot I cut was then filled with brazing.

Reply to
patrick mitchel

Bridgeport with boring head.

Reply to