Best was to sell Table Saw?

Hey all,

What's a good way to sell a table saw? My wife gave me the green light to buy a new cabinet saw, so I want to sell my contractor saw. I just don't know if an ad in the paper will be effective.

Any ideas appreciated...

Reply to
Mike P

I would go with GARAGE SALE. TS.

Or, have you checked to see if you can trade the old one in?

Reply to
Leon

I would think that a want ad would likely sell your saw quickly. That is what I plan to do with mine when SWMBO gives me the go ahead on a cabinet saw. I have called a few ads in the paper for equipment (band saw, jointer) and they are usually gone by the time I call.

P.

Reply to
Paul in MN

Why not just list it here?

Reply to
Markndawoods

Just put FS: in the subject line then tell where you are located, all about the TS and asking price.

I listed mine here (Delta CS 34-444Z) over two years ago and sold it within

2 days of the post.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Many town have local shoppers papers that list items for free or very cheap. Bulletin board at work? Interested relative? Donate it?

You could make mention of it here as there are always people reading this NG looking for tools.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

When I upgraded from my Ryobi BT-3000 to a Unisaw, I gave the Ryobi to a friend in exchange for an afternoon's work getting the new one down into my basement and assembling it.

Reply to
Roy Smith

I have sold two table saws, a radial arm saw, and a portable planer all by placing ads in our local newspaper. Have bought a lot of stuff the same way. I have posted some of the stuff here, but it's a long shot unless you want to ship. If you are willing to ship, Ebay is probably your best bet. But not worth the hassle to me to ship large items. Another good way is to contact woodworking clubs in your wide area. They often have newbies looking to outfit a shop and will usually place an ad in their newsletter for free.

Whatever way you choose, setting a _reasonable_ price will git'r'done.

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

I work for a newspaper. If classified ads didn't work, they wouldn't exist.

Lots of daily papers have "guaranteed to sell" deals. Ask when you phone.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

got craigslist in your town yet?

V.

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

"Mike P" wrote in news:b4bVc.73$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

When I wanted to sell a chipper-shredder, I discovered that a newspaper ad would be outrageously expensive for the $300 I expected to get, so I decided to try an ad on eBay. I specified pick-up-only and mentioned my zip code in the ad to give potential buyers an idea of where I was.

Within an *hour*, I had a buyer (who used the eBay "Buy It Now" button). That weekend he showed up with a truck and $330.

YMMV, I live in Atlanta so my base of buyers might be larger than average.

Patrick Fitzgerald

Patrick Fitzgerald

Why don't you try, then let us know? I've sold numerous items that way. What makes a table saw so unique? We have a free advertising paper hereabouts with a wide circulation [supported by business advertising.] An ad costs nothing. Ads *and* paper are free to the public. Barring that, there's nothing wrong with spending a couple of bucks.

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

Sell it to me! lol You should sell it on here, there are probably some people (like me) who would buy it!

Where are you located?

Reply to
David Liles

Hello, I just sold my Sears Craftsman in a few days using Craig's list. Cost nothing and you can include photos. Worked like a charm! Michael

Reply to
mrmortise

Sold my table saw on ebay last month after upgrading to a cabinet saw.

Specified "I WILL NOT SHIP" and "saw must be picked up at my house by the winning bidder".

Winning bidder was in PA, and he gladly drove 2+ hours to my house to pick it up.

The TS sold for about $40 more than I had paid for it (used).

Reply to
Rich B

You didn't mention brand, model, age.

I recently sold my 70's vintage Craftsman, and I was up front telling folks it would need a motor. I sold it from a local PenneyPower ad (freebe, 10 words or less) to a finish carpenter that had a motor. Saw, without motor sold for $50. With a good motor this older machine would have sold in the $75 to 100 range in our local market.

I constantly see newer Craftsman and Deltas in the $125 - 250 range. Won't buy a cabinet saw but it will make a good down payment.

Reply to
RonB

craigslist.org, if you're located in an area where they've got a local chapter.

Marc

Reply to
MrAoD