Best three easy improvements to my shop. How about yours?

1) Better lighting through white painted walls/floor. I can find dropped hardware and there is no concrete dust in my lungs any more. Whew! 2) Assembly table with cabinet storage underneath. I store all my abrasives (few), cleaners (many) and cauls there. Te room in the middle will soon be an additional pair of shelves. The 5" casters will roll over a tuba fore if needed. I'll be redoing the side- mounted clamp posts into a vertical clamp cart, also on 5" casters. (Side mounting made the cart unstable.) 3) I'm in the process of building cabinets to store all my tools to keep them in easy reach.

=========================================================== Save the Endangered Boullions from being cubed!

Hilarious T-shirts online ===========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My "shop" is my two-car garage, so every square inch is precious.

Best four improvements:

  1. Wall-mounted lumber rack
  2. Retractable power cord (overhead installation)
  3. Putting bench saw, power mitre saw and router table on moveable bases.
  4. Built large shelf unit (half of one wall) using 1" x 12"s. (Holds lots of stuff)
Reply to
hdmundt

Why the wood floor Dave and is this in preference to concrete ? I am = about to set up a new shop and wondered what was better. Puff

successes and the

compressor hooked up

Reply to
Puff Griffis

Hi Barry,

I hope you don't think I was knocking your tool boxes, as I certainly wasn't! I was just bragging a bit. The important part is that the box holds what it's supposed to and you are satisfied with it! Besides, that Snap-on I have is a baby compared to my "train"!

Throw in a couple of cheapie Craftsman for other uses and I'll have more boxes than I'll know what to do with when I retire!!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

OOH OOH OOH. A Schwinn Stingray! Man, I saved my paper route money for a long time to buy mine! Mine was red, though. How I wish I would have tucked that away somewhere instead of selling it when I started riding dirtbikes.

Mark, how much are those things worth these days?

Reply to
Keith Carlson

A Fastback, like I have, in decent condition will hit $300. The earlier the Stingrays, the more they will bring. An early 63-64 with a first year only paint job brought $4000 on eBay recently. Krates will regularly bring $800- $2000. These are averages.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Not at all!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

A guy that frequents our bike shop has a few crates. We currently have one of his Orange Crates on display, complete with an original store poster behind it.

Ah, the memories!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Wood floors are easier on the feet and legs. It does not seem like much, but there is a big difference. New floors are not always practilal, but rubber mats whee yo stand the ost are a big help. Two or thee are a "must" in a good shop. In front of the bench, in front of the sander, the band saw, the table saw. -- Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Lazarus Long

a new shop and wondered what was better.

You are asking this is a wood news group? Seriously, concrete is hard on the bones & cold. Got mats from CostCo. Really like them but hard to sweep up; so's I don't. Except Mama.....never mind. If you afford it, go with wood floors.

Reply to
Len

I'd really, really, like to reorganize my shop for better efficency. Its the basement, divided into 3 areas currently. One corner was a darkroom/laundry area. No darkroom now, and I plan to make the laundry area smaller to enclosed the washer/dryer/tub acessible by bifold doors. There is a dividing wall along the middle of the basement, running alongside furnace and hot water heater. On my "shop" side (dirty side), I cram a workbench, a tool cabinet, table saw, band saw, drill press, and soon, a jointer. The table saw is on wheels. The Band saw and drill press will soon be. The jointer will be too. On the floor under shelving, I have my planer, drill doctor case, plate joiner case, a small electric heater, shop vac, a model plane in progress, and a couple of small rubbermaid tubs. On the other side of the shop around the furnace, I have 3 rubber maid "wrap and store" containers for my model airplane cover, a 6' high wheeled rack for model airplane wood sheets, a roll around upright rack for model airplane wood sticks, a couple of boxes of stuff, some rolls a of naughahyde, and lots of wood leaning against the water heater. Plus a rolling toobox and air compressor.

The other half of the basement (which has the laundry corner), I have a

4x8 table intended for building parts of my full size plane when I get to it. One wall holds model airplanes. Another wall is taken up by steel shelving, the 3rd wall has shelving, my reloading bench, a gun safe, and a plastic desk holding my miscellanous hunting stuff (clothes, cases, etc). Next to the laundry corner are 2 plastic shelving units, a half size metal shelf, basement dehumidifier, and miscellanous stuff.

So yeah, things are tight.

And no, I don't have a garage!

I need storage! agh!

John

Reply to
JohnT.

This is initially going to sound crazy but here goes.

Grade school kids brooms "huge vacuum cleaner" (their term for "dust collector").

Now the words - kids, cleaning, dusting - and the phrase "tidying" up don't normally go together - when they're at home. But in a SHOP...

Maybe it's ALL THAT POWER - dust collector's muted roar, the sound of a large volume of air being sucked into a four inch hose, the way things magically disappear as the end of the hose approaches them or the sound of small pieces of all sorts of things rattling their way through the pipes on their way to who knows where.

All of my "stationary" tools are on wheels and normally reside against a wall. They get pulled out when used and push back when done - leaving wood residue behind them. Out of sight, out of mind. But, after a kid, or a team of kids have sucked everything that they can reach into that four inch hose, they start looking UNDER and BEHIND things.

In BIG VACUUM CLEANER mode, kids become prospectors searching for the Mother Load. Discovering all the sawdust that collects under a cabinet saw is a cause for squeeling rejoicing. That will prompt a search through my "sticks and dowel" storage tubes for an arm extender to get to the otherwise inaccessible sawdust. And like gold miners, they'll stick with "the gold vein" until it's all gone.

When they discover more "treasures" behind the tools on wheels they'll hound you until you move them out of the way so they can continue their prospecting.

After finding and taking care of everything the dust collector can handle, they find brooms and start sweeping small to medium cut offs into two or three piles - to be gone through for later "glue stuff together, use your imagination, sculpture/projects" The rejects go in a scrap box for kindling and "the good stuff" goes into each one's large zip lock stash bag.

When "the room full of heavy stuff that generates sawdust" has been picked clean they move on to the "quiet gluing and bug spitting room" (bug spit to them is shellac to the rest of us - but bug spit sounds cooler). Here they can't use the HUGE VACUUM CLEANER - they know curlies will clog it up (earlier learning experience) - so it's brooms and brushes. The interesting curlies get saved for a future creative project and the rest get stuffed in a "fireplace fire starter stuff" bag. All those little pieces that dovetails and tenons create are each examined carefully for some wonderful use, the rejects going in a kindling box.

As a bonus for me, they also find every nut, bolt, screw and anything else I'd dropped and couldn't find. Those go in the "stuff that was found and will be sorted out and put away later" can. One of these discoveries will prompt a "what's this and what's it for" question and one of my "too much information" lectures. I've learned to pay attention, so when their eyes start to glaze over I let them get back to The Hunt.

In less than an hour the cleaning tornado moves on, other games to play. I'm left with a nice clean shop (it's still cluttered but relatively clean) bags of kids project parts, a bag of fire lighting curlies and a box of kindling. I'm also exhausted and inspired.

Exhausted because I've had to mediate at least a dozen "he got to vacuum for 10 minutes and I only got to vacuum for a minute", "I found that first and she took it", "why can't I use the push broom this time?", "she says this is from a pin socket and I say it's from a tail socket" disputes.

Exhausted because I've had to watch them like a hawk to keep them from bumping their heads while crawling under power equiptment searching for treasure, trying to move a wheeled cart supporting a disk and spindle sander away from the wall to get to who knows what behind it ...

The inspiration comes from listening to all the wonderful ideas they have for a piece of scrap they found and saved.

Inspired because they got me to look for useful stuff in what would otherwise be "just scrap".

For those who'e had their teeth on edge, worrying about kids in the shop:

The sharp handtools are in wall hanging tool cabinets behind a SCMS station and are out of reach of kids and, with the doors closed - out site, out of mind.

All power tools are unplugged, and those that can be "locked down" are locked down BEFORE the human tornadoes get started.

I've got one of those powerful magnates on a stick things and use it when emptying the cyclone garbage can - finding the iron bearing parts that shouldn't have been vacuumed up in the first place.

To date there's been only one injury. While crawling around under the sliding table of my combination machine (a Robland X31 for the curious) looking for more sawdust to vacuum up, and despite my repeated "watch your head" warnings, one girl tried to get up while under the sliding table and dinged her eyebrow.

That prompted a "que tip and peroxide - neopsorene

- big gauze eyepatch with four big pieces of tape to hold it in place - just for dramatic effect - medical emergency production with an audience enjoying every act of the three act drama, The star of this production, with her "eye make up" was in all her glory, basking in the attention of her fans - "Does it really hurt bad?" - "You gonna have to get stitches?" - "Think you'll lose your eye?"

Of course the tape and the gauze came off before she went home and her "gaping wound" lost some of it's shock value - a shiny neosporened eyebrow just isn't all that noteworthy.

Maybe, in addition to eye protection, ear muffs rubber gloves and safety glasses, I should add a helmet or two.

Nothing to buy, no slick jig or fixture, no new use for an existing tool- a single, free in terms of dollars, shop improvement. Clean shop and another one of those priceless experiences.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Excellent reading. You're a hard act to follow.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Now thats a drive by gloat if I ever heard one!

great read!

Reply to
Rob V

1) I tried for years to come up with an effective dust collection solution for my SCMS. I've tried using a box behind the saw, etcetera. Every solution either compromised the cuts the saw could make, or didn't do a great job collecting the dust. Well, I finally tried making a shroud out of that flexible plastic that's used for freezer curtains. A couple of hours of fiddling around, and Voila! It works! I now have a dust free miter station. It's a flexible shroud that attaches to the saw and moves with it, and it doesn't restrict any cut (extreme left miter+bevel, etc) that the saw is capable of making. Very low effort for a large environmental improvement, IMO. 2) Mounted my outfeed table top on 28" drawer slides. The table is 28" deep,so when it's pushed in, it doesn't get in my way. When I push it out, it extends out to 56" behind the saw (60" past the blade) which is just long enough to handle 8' stock, and I can move it in and out without even walking around to the back of the saw. After suffering for years with temp supports and and later a large fixed table that took too much room, I'm really happy with this solution. 3) Replaced shelves under my bench with simple shallow pullouts. This was so easy to do it isn't funny, and it improved the cleanliness of my shop a ton, because I can now get a lot more stuff neatly arranged on the pullouts than I ever could on the shelves.

Tim Carver snipped-for-privacy@twocarvers.com

Reply to
Tim Carver

[...]

Tim,

Can you give more details and pics on #2?

Also - where did you get that shroud you mentioned in #1?

Thanks

-Rob

Reply to
Rob V

The pressure of the system is between 100 and 125. the L will take everything a 175 psi system will give! I used to have an auto shop where I installed an extensive air system with L copper. It is WAY overrated for that. Not to worry!

dave

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave