Best Shoes for Concrete Shop Floor

I've googled and found some recs for Red Wing and Rockport (as well as a couple for running shoes and Birkenstocks) and figured I'd bore the crap out of you old timers by dragging it into the kitchen again. I'm leaning towards Rockports, as they've gotten the best press. Any strong opinions otherwise?

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Consider your present shoes with sole inserts. Dr. Scholl's has some very cushioning ones. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The best that I have found are Rebock DMX, they have air cushoned soles with a tunnel between the front and back.

Jim

Reply to
Jamrelliot

I think we went through this at least once before.

The conclusion was better to shod the floor than the feet. Some kind of cushioning pads in front of the workbench and other pieces of equipment where you spend a lot of standing time.

Regards & Good Luck, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {'$2.oo slip-on canvas 'sneaks' ' when I anticipate painting, old deck shoes or Sears 'Adidis knock-offs' most other times. Except in dead of winter, then it's some cheap workbooks}

Reply to
Ron Magen

Reply to
JGS

Cow mats are cheap and one-time purchase help in front of machines. I'm a Birkies guy some days, Reebok the next, something else the third. Sometimes I even change during a long day, because the angle, support, and containment difference helps.

My Rockports sure worked well for five hour days and a lot of walking at school.

Reply to
George

Yip, a couple of anti-fatigue mats strategically placed in the shop are well worth the money, and your legs/back.

Here's a link for better than average quality/comfortable shoes. I've done the Birks', Rockports, insoles, runners etc, but these have , by far, been the absolute best

8-12 hours a day in the shop, for well over a year and a half, still look and feel like new.

Cheers,

aw

Reply to
A Dubya

Personally I prefer steel toed work boots. Glad I had them on last week when I was putting a straight edge on a 10' x 12" x 1.5" oak board last week with my router. Finished up, lifted the guide off the board and the oak came down on my feet. Guess it was hanging over the edge of the bench a little more than I thought. Have a couple nice pairs of Terra work boots that are well cushioned in the sole and heel.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Gibson

Rockports are fine. I've also had very good results from, believe it or not, standard GI combat boots (the real thing, not an imitation). The only real downside to the GI boots is that they take a while to put on or take off because of all the lacing. They're actually very comfortable.

Whatever you get for your feet, make sure to get some mats for the floor too. If you have a lathe, this is probably the most important place in the shop for a comfortable mat, because you'll be standing in that one spot for a long time. Rockler and Woodcraft both sell decent mats that aren't terribly expensive when they go on sale (frequently); the small blue ones at Woodcraft are softer than Rockler's, and IMO better suited to use at the lathe or other areas where you would stand in one place for a long time, whereas the stiffer mats from Rockler seem more comfortable to walk on.

Doug Miller

I have worn "only" Rockports since 1987. With that in mind, not all Rockports are made equally. Typically when considering apples to apples and oranges to oranges, the Rockports win out over any shoe that I have worn. Since 1987 I have spent many many hours standing and walking on concrete floors and my home has all ceramic tile floors.

Forget the dress shoe for standing on concrete for extended hours. Better yet, the Rockport Pro Walker, but, the soles of these shoes wear out rather quickly on concrete. The best Rockport that I have worn for working on concrete is the Rockport Hiking Shoe, I prefer the water proof style as I do a lot of work outside. I have had 3 pairs of these shoes and have literally worn them 6 out of 7 days of the week. I bought the first pair in

1996. To recap that, 3 pair have lasted me 8 years and basically worn daily. Absolutely comfortable with lots of support and hold up very well.

Reply to
Leon

A Dubya notes:

Local farm store. Cow/livestock mats. Cheaper, usually better than most others. THink of the environment they must last in during regular use.

Yabbut...how are your feet?

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to." Dorothy Parker

Reply to
Charlie Self

Glad to see another ecco fan. Things seem to last forever, very comfortable, and for me anyway they're a perfect fit. Not cheap, but well worth the money. Won't buy anything else except for athletic shoes.

Incidentally, they have a variety of insoles--the ones in my hiking boots slipped around going up and down hills--I called them and then sent me a set with a different backing that didn't move.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Get some of the quick-don types - or maybe those zippers they used to sell.

Best mats I ever got came from the cargo deck of a KC 135. Wish I had cleared the entire dumpster. Also wish I hadn't been so generous with sharing.

Reply to
George

I've worn nothing but Red Wings for the last 30 years. Cannot compare/contrast with Rockport as I have no firsthand experience with them. Red Wings seem a little pricey up front, but on a "per year" basis, they are dirt cheap since they last forever if given reasonable care. Very comfortable and well fitting. Only shoes I've had since getting out of the Marines that outlasted the soles and were worth resoling.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Now there's an image I could've done without...

Doug Miller

Now that's good for a hearty chuckle, maybe even a guffaw.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

In a former job I had to do a *lot* of trade shows. Many hours on the feet smiling at people moderately interested in my company's products. After a

3-day show I should have won an Oscar because people who came to our booth thought I gave a d*mn, when all I could think of was my aching feet.

On someone else's recommendation I bought the water-cushioned insoles. Although for the first hour they felt great, it was overall a bad move for my 40+ year old feet. When I stood still they put my toes to sleep. When I walked the incompressible fluid transmitted the shock to parts of my feet that had never hurt before. I threw them away, and suggest you avoid them.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

RE: Subject

The work shoe has yet to be made that I can wear for more than one (1) year.

I've tried Knapp, Red Wing, you name it, they all die in about a year.

A good insert will help a great deal, but they also fail.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

When I started my working years, I had a standup job. The other workers all suggested "ripple soles" and I bought a pair. Great! I understand the post office recommends them for postmen with a walking route.

IIRC, Mason shoes sells them. Others may as well, I don't know.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

some cheap workbooks}

How 'd y'all attach them workbooks to the feet..Does Ducktape do the trick ? R

Reply to
Rudy