Cleaning/protecting concrete shop floor

Hi all,

After a couple of years of woodworking the concrete floor in my shop area looks pretty mucked up. Spilled glue spots, finishing mess, etc.

Is there a good way to clean it besides renting a power sander?

And are there any sealants that can be put on the concrete that will keep the glue and mess from sticking ... for example, Thompson Waterseal, paints, epoxy, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

There are epoxy sealers for concrete floors. I applied mine using a mop. I remove dried glue with a putty knife.

Reply to
Phisherman

Hi Nate,

I had pretty bad concrete floors in my shop a few years ago. They had been painted maybe 10 years earlier, but needed an upgrade from all the woodworking.

After scraping the glue, putty etc, I "washed" a 10 x 10 (approx) area with liquid sandpaper and an old towel that I rised out often in some fresh water.

A section a day till I finished.

I rolled on some Behr concrete/floor paint and have never had any peeling problems. Our basement is pretty dry tho. Another 5 years and I'll do the same.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That sounds like the ticket. What sort of epoxy sealer did you use? I did a Google and found lots of types ... Duraseal, Rhinofloor, Floorcote, etc. Some seem to require an acid etch, and some just need a degreaser prior to application.

I get the impression that some are true epoxies and others are "epoxy- based paints."

Anything that would render the floor a little more non-stick would be great. I am finding that once the glue dries on my existing concrete it's a real bugger to get off. And the floor is getting to be too ugly even for my low standards.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

loutent wrote in news:070220052050051055% snipped-for-privacy@no.net:

Hi Lou,

This is probably a dumb question, but what's "liquid sandpaper?"

Do you find that the Behr paint makes the cleanup of spilled glue and finish any easier?

Thanks, Nate

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Hi Nate,

Liquid sandpaper is a wipe-on liquid that cleans and roughs the surface a little. I use it mostly on non-woodworking type projects where there is dirt or gloss to eliminate. Got mine at HD.

I don't think that Behr makes it easier to get the glue up (maybe like an epoxy would) but it is is good paint that did not flake off.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

loutent wrote in news:080220050937108781% snipped-for-privacy@no.net:

Thanks very much for the info, Lou. I appreciate it.

Reply to
Nate Perkins