Bessey clamp problem

I have a Bessey TG5.512 clamp (not a K-body) whose jaws are closed as tight as they can be. The screw handle is in its out (loosest) position, so there is no room for adjustment. Before I change the length of a perfectly good hex wrench to loosen where the bottom jaw 'slides', does anyone have a simple solution to my problem?

Thanks.

Tin Woodsmn

Reply to
TinWoodsmn

Tap the slide end from the bottom side with a hammer and flat faced punch.

Reply to
Leon

Take hold of the part where the jaws meet with one hand. Hold the handle with the other hand. Twist your hands back and forth. That procedure worked for me today. Next time I won't loosen the screw all the way!

Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks to those who replied, but neither solution worked in my situation. However I contacted Bessey and they are replacing the clamp free of charge!

The cost of shipping my clamp from N. CA to NY was more than the cost of a new clamp. So they decided to replace it at their expense. I'm adding Bessey to my list of those companies where customer satisfaction is high on the list.

I now have a non-working clamp. Anybody have any ideas?

Tin Woodsmn

Reply to
TinWoodsmn

Yeah, cut the fixed end off like you were talking about in the first place and remount if possible.

Reply to
Leon

Are the red plastic pads still on? Maybe you could run a hacksaw between the pads. It would ruin the plastic, but it would give you some wiggle room to open the clamps.

Mitch

Reply to
MB

Mitch,

Thanks for the follow-up. That is exactly what I did yesterday with complete success. There is no pad on the stationary jaw, but the one which I removed on the moveable jaw is replaceable.

Thanks again.

Tin Woodsmn

Reply to
TinWoodsmn