Bending wood

Me and my big mouth: I happened to mention to my wife that a table would look good at a corner in the hallway and she suggested that one with a curved front would be just the ticket.

I've always intended to build a steambox and Woodcraft carries the steam generator.

Question: what wood species best lend themselves to steam-bending?

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

For whatever reason, most North American hardwoods bend very well. Pick what you like and it will probably work great.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Ash. Which was why it was used in the Wright Bros. flying machine for the landing skids.

Reply to
Morgans

look good at a corner in the hallway and she suggested that one with a curv ed front would be just the ticket.

Most domestic woods bend fine. The real trick is to try and get wood that w as air dried. The kiln drying process is harsh on the wood and sort of hard ens it. You may be better off doing lamination work. Then you can just add a top lam that is any species you want. Lamming is fun. lots of re-sawing a nd fixture building, etc.

Bending is much more art than process. It can be a real hit and miss affair .

I'll look and see if I can find the videos of this one guy who weaves steam ed wood. He shows that taking a steamed piece of wood and bending it on one axis, then the other and it turns into like a piece of rope for a few seco nds and you can weave with it.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

d look good at a corner in the hallway and she suggested that one with a cu rved front would be just the ticket.

was air dried. The kiln drying process is harsh on the wood and sort of ha rdens it. You may be better off doing lamination work. Then you can just ad d a top lam that is any species you want. Lamming is fun. lots of re-sawing and fixture building, etc.

amed wood. He shows that taking a steamed piece of wood and bending it on o ne axis, then the other and it turns into like a piece of rope for a few se conds and you can weave with it.

OK, here is one video that shows the same concept, bending two directions. I remember know the guy I saw was twisting the wood as the third step, not weaving.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

uld look good at a corner in the hallway and she suggested that one with a curved front would be just the ticket.

eam generator.

at was air dried. The kiln drying process is harsh on the wood and sort of hardens it. You may be better off doing lamination work. Then you can just add a top lam that is any species you want. Lamming is fun. lots of re-sawi ng and fixture building, etc.

teamed wood. He shows that taking a steamed piece of wood and bending it on one axis, then the other and it turns into like a piece of rope for a few seconds and you can weave with it.

. I remember know the guy I saw was twisting the wood as the third step, no t weaving.

oops. Link

ing-technique.aspx

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

In news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, Gramps' shop belched:

Get some bendable plywood, take two pieces and laminate together in the curve you want and just add the veneer of your choice

Reply to
ChairMan