Bench vise

Hey, been looking at vises, they sure are proud of 'um. I'm kinda new at wood butchering.....How do the imports of Taiwan & India stack up? Hartville has one of each. Leaning towards this one. Anyone ever deal w/ Hartville?

Rick Samuel

I bought a white Shop Fox vise, a Record knock-off, from Grizzly. It hasn't been mounted to a bench yet, but it's solid, has survived a whole year on my basement floor without rusting, and it has a pop-up dog on the face. Hafta wait to see how it works when attached to the bench, but I'm confident it's as good as the expensive ones.

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

I've seen these here in Australia, well made and worth the money. If I didn't already have a record No 52 I'd get one of those.

Reply to
Groggy

in a real large size like the Record 53, but for the size they are the smoothest operating vise I've played with. Especially the quick release. Much easier to use than my Record 53.

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric Lund

I played with this one at Woodcraft too, but liked this Wilton better. Maybe it's just how they were set up, but the Wilton was silky-smooth to use. 'Course, it ain't cheap, but I figgure I'm not buying a trainload of 'em.

Henry Bibb

that same wilton can be had at lowes for 99 dollars.

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

Kewl. I hadn't noticed that.. :)

Reply to
Henry Bibb

they do not have em set up on display but most lowes stores have a couple in boxes under the display of the other vises. the threaded rods on these vises are inside steel channel so they get very little dust on the mechanism. skeez

Reply to
skeezics

questionable. I have a Record bench vise and very pleased (they are cast in England). Record makes several vise sizes. USA-made and Germany-made vises are usually quite good.

Reply to
Phisherman

I have that Wilton, but don't have it on a bench yet. May put it on a downdraft sanding table I plan to build.

Reply to
KYHighlander

Another good source is eBay. I have an old (circa 1920s by best guesstimate) Morgan vise that I happened upon for free. It's built like a Mack truck. I see them on eBay from time to time, and would not hesitate to pick one up if I needed another vise. This is one solid hunk of iron.

Reply to
Silvan