Anyone else tend to overbuild things :) Swing Set

Kinda woodworking - hey its made from wood!

A few years back we bought on of the prefab wooden swing sets for our SWMBO'ette (at the time there was only 1 - now there are 3 - all girls!) I never liked the way it was put together but never had the time to make it the way I wanted it. Always had the honey do list to knock out and the swing set kept going down further and further on the list. A few days ago the wife and I are out playing w/ the kids and they are on the swing set and all 3 are swinging - and the thing is just not looking that good - the cross beam ( a single 2x6) is just too bent and is flexing too much for my comfort. A trip to the old orange borg was in order!

3 2x6x16 4 4x4x12 2 2x4x12 some hardware and cement and we are good to go.

Made 2 support posts by sanwitching some cut off 2x4s between the 4x4s Made a long swing beam by taking the 3 2x6s and secure them between the

4x4s. Dug a few 3' deep holes. Add cement and we are done.

Like I said - I tend to overbuild things. Im sure I could have gotten away w/ using some smaller materials - but I like the security of knowing that there is no way this things is coming down unless I take it down. This thing is truly built like a tank. Myself and 3 of my buds had to test it out to be sure it was kid safe! There was barly any deflection at all. Also the old one was only 7' high - the new one is 9' so they get a much better swing arch. So far it got all thumbs up from the kids in the neighborhood.

Pics in A.B.P.W. You can see the remnets of what I took down. The "tower" is what is left of the old one. The SWMBO loves the new one and wants a new tower w/ a climbing wall on it. Gotta say - one of the more fun projects to do!

Kind of kewl thing is Ive had a few other parents see it and a few want one in there yard. Got 1 order for just a basic swing and one other w/ a tower!

Reply to
Rob V

There's no such thing as "overbuilt," the correct term is "enduring." :)

I've been helping a bloke build a house; he's a bricky and looks after the mineral bits, I've been lumbered with everything else apart from electrics & plumbing. We were laying his floors, 4" Tasmanian Oak (a misnomer... it's another eucalypt) and I carelessly commented that it would look great if we built his kitchen & laundry cabinetry out of it. [sigh] Ever tried building doors & panels out of floorboards?

2 months later, it took a tri-axle trailer, 4 BIG blokes and several trips to transport it all back to his house.

It really does look lovely, just as I imagined it, although I'm having trouble finding a few more willing labourers... it seems we're gonna have to move 'em out again while I jack up a couple of the floor joists and throw in some extra stumps. Three of the previous slaves^H^H^H labourers called me some nasty names when I mentioned it and don't wanna play with me anymore. It's not my fault if local regulations stipulate stump/bearer spacings that are barely adequate!

- Andy

Reply to
Andy McArdle

"Andy McArdle" wrote in news:42b2cd33$0$21964$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au:

Family lore hinted that we had cousins in Oz. I just never knew how I was going to find them! And now, here you are!

Wait 'til I tell Dad!

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Sorry, but your swingset is adequate at best. MY swingset has:

4 ea 4 x 6 x 16 for the support posts 1 ea 6 x 6 x 20 for the main beam 2 ea 4 x 6 x 6 for the cross beams 4 ea 2 x 4 x 8 for the X bracing between the posts. It holds a 6 foot cypress swing PLUS 3 kids swings. The main beam is 13 feet off the ground. I now know that's really too high for good swinging action, but the BORG was out of 14' 4 x 6 when I needed them, and there was no way I was gonna buy a 16 footer and cut 2 feet off. So the whole thing just went 2 feet higher than I had planned. I can out-overbuild you any day!

DonkeyHody

Rob V wrote:

Reply to
DonkeyHody

built his kitchen & laundry cabinetry out of it. [sigh] Ever tried

No, but I'd love to have a look at it.

Any chance you could post some pics?

Reply to
Rob Fargher

We are everywhere! Scotland has a lot to answer for...

- Andy

Reply to
Andy McArdle

I don't have any pics of the finished job, but just by chance I have a couple the owner took while the kitchen island was being fitted out. I'll post 'em in alt.bin.pic.w/wing..

The pics are fuzzy, the lighting not much chop but it should give you an idea of the "overall" look.

The frame-work in the RH corner behind the frig is for a "slide-out" dishwasher; as he hadn't decided on the model at that time the framework was a temporary for cupboards over the top of the frig. Not really necessary but I prefer to be safe than sorry.

- Andy

Reply to
Andy McArdle

Why do you say that 13' is too high for good swinging? I'm going to build a swing set/playhouse or /fort later this summer and would have thought higher is better. Though I doubt I would have considered anything as tall as 13 feet!

Nog

Reply to
nogginhead

I agree, nothing wrong with 13 feet or higher. We had little money for playthings when I was a kid so my father just put up a horizontal piece (a pole about 6-7" diameter) between two trees. I think it was just held by bailing wire. Don't know how he got it so high, but it was more than 13 feet maybe 15 feet above the ground. The two swings were wood seats with 1 inch-diameter ropes. Boy could we go high, but hold on like hell when it snapped when you neared horizontal. After many years, the horizontal piece fell down when one person was swinging and luckily no one was hurt, but it was never put back up.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon