Bench for lathe...

I am going to make a bench for a lathe in my garage.

It would be easiest and sturdiest to attach some 2x4s to the garage framing; won't move around for anything that way. I could even run braces to the framing also, and have no legs to get in the way of cleaning up. The downside is that it can't be moved. I can't see any reason I would ever want to move a lathe. What do you think?

Reply to
Toller

Well, I frequently change my mind about where I want tools.

If it's a big lathe, ya might shake the paint off the wall when you put on a big bowl blank.

I'd try it, but mount it with bolts, so if you learn something about how you SHOULD have mounted it later, you can change it easily.

Old Guy

Reply to
Old guy

Mon, Jun 4, 2007, 12:51am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@Yahoo.com (Toller) doth announce: I am going to make a bench for a lathe in my garage. What do you think?

I think I made my lathe stand out of 3/4" plywood, and the only thing it's fastened to is the lathe. It's patterened vaguely after after te factory metal stand, which would have cost $45, plus shipping. I've got arund $15 in the stand. It's very sturdy, and no vibraton, except some when starting up with a rough piece mound, until I round it down. I move it out when I use it, and back when I finish. No tendency to walk at all. If I were going to make another, I make one similar - not identical, because I don't remember how made the first one, and probably couldn't duplicate it if I had to.

You can bolt it to te wall if you wat, but sooner or later you'l want to move it. I shifted my bndsaw awhile back, it stood on a glued in, bolted in, base. So I unbolted it, cut it, shifted it, reglued it, rebolted it, and viola, done, no prob. .

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T